Lots of features no longer working

Reaction score
Hi all,

Yesterday my laptop ran out of battery, and when I charged it up again was told that it needed to be at 25% power before it could perform an update. It was on this screen for a long time so I decided to power down.

Ever since then Windows has not been the same. It allows me to log on in my admin account, but many features are not working. I click on Word or Excel, and am told that there is an error. No internet connections show, even though there are several available. For some tasks it doesn't even recognize me as an administrator.

Would anyone be able to assist with this please? I reluctantly tried to reset it yesterday through the 'recovery' tab (even though it would have meant losing the programs I had installed), but it even gave me an error with this and was unable to do so.

Any help is really appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
So the situation is you are allowing you computer to charge so you can start an update but you terminated prior to the update starting?

It is hard to know the exact situation with your system. I did want to bring up something to keep in mind and that is doing a system file check to see if they are OK, and as a last resort, doing an in-place upgrade where you start the upgrade from within Windows and it replaces the Windows install but leaves your stuff.

Start with the system file check and let us know. If it shows errors, it might help to run DISM to try to repair those errors.

Open and Admin command prompt and type the command below and let it finish.

sfc /scannow

If show errors you might run DISM using the command below.

DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Reaction score
Yep that sums the situation up.

I did the system file check and it said that it didn't find any integrity violations.

Do you know what I could try next?

Thanks!

Reaction score
There have been threads where operational problems have showed up. If you can find one of those threads it might give suggestions. There may be some service or services which are not running.

You might try starting in Safe Mode by using msconfig.exe.

If the upgrade did happen, you might try uninstalling it or re-installing that upgrade.

I have no other suggestions beside the in-place upgrade.

Ask a Question