SOLVED Microsoft Document Imaging Tool

Reaction score
I am using Windows 10 Pro, 32 bit, and would like to uninstall (or at least temporarily disable) Microsoft Office Document Imaging Tool. I have found on line some advice on doing this in Win 7 and 8, but the instructions do not seem to apply to Win 10. The problem is that I cannot locate the tool. On going to Control Panel > Programs and Features the only likely container listed is Microsoft Access Runtime 2010, and opening this and following the path Microsoft Office > Office Tools lists only Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Is this in fact the Document Imaging Tool under another name? Any advice on locating and uninstalling the imaging tool will be welcome.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum Hamfist.

The Microsoft Office Document Imaging (MODI) comes on the DVD installation disk.

To remove it you'd need to run that disk or installer again and deselect MODI to uninstall it / or prevent it installing per se.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks Regedit32.
What installation disk are you referring to? My Win 10 was downloaded from MS at least a year ago to replace Win 7, so I have a Win 7 disc but no Win 10 disk. The only other MS products I have installed are Office 2000 Premium and Publisher 2002. I have disks for these but have been using those programs for years, whereas MODI has only made its appearance in the last couple of months. Am I right in thinking that MODI was not originally included in Win 10 but came later as an update?
Cheers,
Samarium

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi again,

MODI is part of Microsoft Office installation disks. You need those disks, not an operating system disk.

Reaction score
Sorry to interrupt, but why is it , or in what way, is it bothering you?

It is not part of Windows 10, or later editions of Office and, as such, should not be active.

Reaction score
Hi davehc

Thanks for your interest. Long story. In brief, it started with a problem I was having with images downloaded from my camera. For years I have opened these in Photoshop Elements and saved them as TIFs for later editing. But a few weeks ago this process began producing corrupt TIF files. While investigating this, I noticed that Windows Explorer was listing the file type not as “TIF File” as it always had done previously but as but as “Microsoft Document Imaging File”. On looking up this newly arrived program I found that it wasn't designed to do anything that I had not previously been able to do with Omipage and Foxit Reader, so I decided to delete it, just in case it was connected in some way with the image format corruption. Hence my present query – where is it hiding?
I haven't yet tried Regedit32's suggestion, but will do so and post the result, although I would still want to know why, if the program has always been there, it should suddenly start to intrude.

Reaction score
OK. I would suggest the simplest way out of it is to go into the default programs and re-associate the *Tif files with your favourite.

Reaction score
Yes Dave, I did that as soon as I realised that MODI had associated itself with JPG and TIF. I changed the default back to Photoshop Elements but the problem remained (fine black lines in the TIF image). I have found two work-arounds: one is to download the camera JPGs to my laptop which has the same Office 2000 software and Photoshop but runs on Windows XP. Saving these as TIFs gives images which are free of the artefacts and can be transferred to my desktop machine. The other work-around is to continue using the Win 10 desktop but save the TIFs with “Per Channel” option instead of the default “Interleaved”. However, these are matters for the Adobe forums rather than Win 10. My post to this forum was because I am not happy having an unwanted program and not being able to locate and uninstall it via Control Panel (sorry – Settings). Sorry to be so long winded but I hope this clarifies the situation.

Reaction score
Absolutely. Thanks for the feedback. Your workaround may help others.

Reaction score
Thank you Regedit32 and davehc. I can now mark this problem solved. It turns out that instead of looking under Control Panel > Programs and Features > Add or change programs” I should have simply gone to the Start button and looked at “All Programs”. That list included “Microsoft Office Tools” > “Microsoft Office Document Imaging”, (even though I had removed all components of Office 2000, following Regeit32'suggestion). Moreover, its context menu includes an “Uninstall” option, so I can now eliminate it as a factor in the image format conversion problem.

Ask a Question