SOLVED Microsoft Money

Reaction score
I have been using Microsoft money for many years. After a resent rebuild of my Windows 10 System Money was deleted from my computer. As a result I have no way of using my check register. I have found and attempted to download the program but all attempts have drifted off into driver updates and the like. Have not been able to get and install windows money. What can I do.

JB

Regedit32

Reaction score
Do you still have the original disks for Microsoft Money?

The actual program was ended back in 2009, and online support was ended in 2011, meaning you probably cannot purchase or download the installer from Microsoft directly.

The Microsoft Store does have a Microsoft Money app you can install, but it does not offer everything the original program used to offer, so the app may be of no interest to you.

If you do have the original disks still, then you probably will need to right-click on the setup.exe file that is on the disk, and select Properties then select the Compatibility tab and select Windows 7, then right-click on the setup.exe again and select Run as Administrator to install it.

If the software came bundled with your computer when you first purchased it, then you may be able to use the Manufacturers Recovery Partition to re-install it, but you'd need to consult their documentation on how to do that, as I assume you do not want to completely recover the hard drive, which would install the original OS and all bundled software.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might have a look here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20738
See if that version may include anything useful for you.
There are a lot of Microsoft Money threads on this forum and the concensus seems to be that after installing, you need to make sure that Windows Update includes a check mark to include "Other Microsoft products" and then manually run Windows Updates to see if it downloads and installs some updates that help the program run in Windows 10.
As that is the last and latest version available through Microsoft it may also, as suggested above, require some compatibility settings be adjusted both during the install as well as during the actual running of the program.
Setting that to Windows 7 should be satisfactory.
Worth a download?
If you’re okay with staying offline, this version of MS Money might serve as an adequate free personal accounting and tracking software for a while longer. You can still manually import MS Money OFX files from your bank or other financial institutions. The Business versions allow to you print invoices. If you have an older version of Money, this is basically a free upgrade to the last edition sold.
SOURCE: http://www.mymoneyblog.com/free-download-microsoft-money-plus-sunset-deluxe.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
I also have used money since 2003, I managed to get the discs installed and working ok in 8.1 but not in 10. I did find windows money sunset( you can download it) which after patching worked fine in 10 but without any communication with a bank so it works just to keep a check on your finances which is really all I need. However I have now got a new laptop and after all the updates etc I found that money sunset installed without the need for patches and work arounds to get it going. I just installed it, pointed it at my money backup file and everything worked hunky dory as they say.

DnA

Reaction score
You might have a look here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20738
See if that version may include anything useful for you.
There are a lot of Microsoft Money threads on this forum and the concensus seems to be that after installing, you need to make sure that Windows Update includes a check mark to include "Other Microsoft products" and then manually run Windows Updates to see if it downloads and installs some updates that help the program run in Windows 10.
As that is the last and latest version available through Microsoft it may also, as suggested above, require some compatibility settings be adjusted both during the install as well as during the actual running of the program.
Setting that to Windows 7 should be satisfactory.

SOURCE: http://www.mymoneyblog.com/free-download-microsoft-money-plus-sunset-deluxe.html
Thank you, Trouble. You solved the Money Sunset installation problem for me. I kept receiving the error "Setup was unable to install some of the components needed to run Money. Try installing Money again." I tried many ways to solve the problem. Finally, I tried your suggestion to manually update Windows but with the advanced setting to include "Other Microsoft products". Behold Money works again. I am so happy!

Ask a Question