Microsoft Scam Call

Reaction score
Please be patient I know a lot of you are probably sick of hearing it, I have recently been a victim of the "famous or infamous" Microsoft scammer. They are convincing and yes you feel such a fool for falling for the whole tail. Okay my story is much like everyone else, took a phone call from a "Microsoft" engineer, your computer has reported a virus, we can help if you give us remote control, here are the hackers IP no's this is what they have done to your pc, it is going to cost so fill out this form with your bank details and any other bank details you have so we can check them for you. The cost is for a new license and some new software at £xx but MS offer compensation of £xx but only in a payment of £xx so you will need to go and buy some iTunes gift cards to refund the difference - and it was at that point I called my husband in to see what he thought.
We called the real MS and took it from there . . .stopped bank cards,informed credit agency, police and even completed a feedback form for MS. It is the laptop I need help with now, MS have tried several ideas, F8, Ctrl Alt Delete etc, but no joy, tried dell but no warranty cover so no advice. I have all my new web site info trapped on this PC and naturally/stupidly I did not make a copy of the years worth of reference material, my blood sugar readings, trade event info and mostly photos of my late mother and dogs. This will never happen again.
Can anyone please advise me about show to open my pc since these gits got in and changed my password at the start up screen, i have heard that the removal of the battery may work so i will try that but any other help and advice would be most grateful or is it a trip to pc world for a repair or new laptop? My husband can not find our original discs but i am still not happy with a reboot as they may have planted other nasty's in the laptop somewhere else.
Please help this blonde, over 50ys idiot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your post isn't clear if you are referring to a password at initial startup, or at the Windows Lock Screen. There are a number of programs available to delete your existing Windows passwords. This allows you to access the computer with out entering a password. You might try http://www.lasesoft.com. I've had good success with their products. Removing the battery won't help with Windows passwords, but could if a password was entered to the bios.

Reaction score
Over the last month I've gotten such phone calls at least once a week. I just ignore them. And I get frequent calls from something like Windows Support, Windows Technical Group, interesting that they don't mention Microsoft which would break several Federal laws. Unfortunately our brain gets so used to correlating 2 words that one becomes the same meaning as the other.

Reaction score
You dont specifically mention it, but, you did allow the whoever to access your computer, and, subsequently, gave them your bank details? If not, then you should not be having any problems.??
But, first. I would suggest you download a free "Live" Linux OS and burn it, then run it.
This will give you access to your computer, from where you can extract all you personal info to a safe place.
This is one I have permanently in my collection

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

AS Gary says, removing the battery will achieve nothing.

You can then try and reset the PC:
Unfortunately, this will remove all of your data, programs, and settings.
Start your PC and select the Power icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the lock screen'
Now keep holding down the Shift key, and select Restart.
On the (next) Boot options menu, select Troubleshoot - Reset this PC - Remove everything.
The computer will then l restart and will reset the OS

I believe it is against the forum rules to offer hacking methods to recover, or redo, a password, but I am sure googling may come up with something.

Ask a Question