SOLVED Migrating to new hardware.

Reaction score
I am currently using a PC I built 9 or 10 years ago and I plan to move to new hardware. The old box was updated top Windows 10 Pro (as well as previous updates over the years). I purchased a new copy of Windows 10 Pro for the new box. I am wondering if there is any way I can copy my current drives to new drives (maintaining drive letters and paths) and not have to re-install all my programs. Can I accomplish that by importing a registry exported from the old machine after I have the new disks set up like the old ones were and the data migrated to them?

I'm just trying to save myself a lot of time. As I said, I bought a copy of Windows 10 Pro for the new hardware. Not trying to get around any rules or anything.

Thanks in advance,
Don

Reaction score
If you are not planning to use the old pc, you can move the license by calling microsoft, provided you are using your MS acct to log in. Personally I just us my collection of old windows 7 COA's and they w9rk fine, most of the time

Reaction score
I am currently using a PC I built 9 or 10 years ago and I plan to move to new hardware. The old box was updated top Windows 10 Pro (as well as previous updates over the years). I purchased a new copy of Windows 10 Pro for the new box. I am wondering if there is any way I can copy my current drives to new drives (maintaining drive letters and paths) and not have to re-install all my programs. Can I accomplish that by importing a registry exported from the old machine after I have the new disks set up like the old ones were and the data migrated to them?

I'm just trying to save myself a lot of time. As I said, I bought a copy of Windows 10 Pro for the new hardware. Not trying to get around any rules or anything.

Thanks in advance,
Don
if your License to 10 Pro is linked to your MS account, you will not need a new copy. I just purchased brand new equipment to be able to run 11. When you do the install, say you do not have a copy of the license. it will link it to you once windows installs. One hint, do not just buy a MB, windows 11 requires so many new things, itwould be very hard to migrate your old stuff. I went to NewEgg and bought a new box and everything to go in it.
Still not easy.

Ask a Question