Migrating SSD to Larger SSD?

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have two SSD slots in my laptop. I have two ssds in them both 256 gb. The primary drive has about 100 gb used while the secondary drive is almost full. I have many symbolic links that pretty migrates everything onto the secondary drive, which is why it so full.

I now want to upgrade that secondary drive to accommodate more space, but seeing as I only have one extra slot (primary obviously needs to stay in), is there any way I can achieve this migration and preserve the symbolic links? The only thing that comes to mind is using a professional migration tool, Cloning the secondary drive onto an external ssd (or more likely a cheap hdd), removing the secondary drive, putting the new one in, and then restoring the drive onto the new larger secondary. Would the symlinks be preserved (currently the secondary drive is D: would the new one also be recognized as D which would allow the symlinks to still be relevant as the paths ways are for example C: Program Files -> D: Program Files) ? Would I be able to turn of the laptop and remove the secondary drive and replace it with out losing my image on the hdd? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Is the secondary drive solely a storage drive? is so, just switch out the 2nd drive with a new1TB SSD and keep migrating your data as normal.

This is what I do with my extra HDD's/SSD's. I have a hard drive docking station that connect to my PC via USB 3.0. When I want to access any of my extra drives. I just drop one into a open slot (2.5" and 3.5"), turn on the unit and in 3 minutes the drive is recognized and accessible. Works great.
https://www.amazon.com/WAVLINK-Dual-Bay-Docking-Station-Functions/dp/B073R7MN1X

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you've pretty much got it covered and know what's in store with respect to the process.

I do a fair amount of this and always use a product from Acronis called True Image.
The caveat is that it will involve a third hard disk resource to hold the image you want to make and a docking station or other cabling as a means of connecting the storage device.
AND
I always use the rescue media that Acronis allows you to create, which provides a method of booting the system independent of the Operating System so everything is off line. Just seems quicker with the system off line and no background processes are involved and more reliable as well.
Create the image of the desired drive, remove the source drive and replace it with the new target drive and restore the image.

Ask a Question