SOLVED SSD drive question

Reaction score
i have asked about the ssd drive here and the consensus is they are better than hard drives, but a lot of the ssd drives i see on ebay are used ssd drives. that kind of tells me they may not be quite as expected! i know there are a lot of hard drives but hard drives have been around forever, and the ssd drive is a new technology and that makes me wonder if people are getting these and finding they are not as people expect and then go back to hard drives and pedal off the ssd to recoup their money. it is hard for me to believe they get a 500gb ssd and then want to upgrade to a larger ssd drive. as i do not see tons of 1tb hard drives for sale so people are not upgrading there 500gb hard drives to 1tb hard drives.

just wondering if you see this trend. thanks

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
that makes me wonder if people are getting these and finding they are not as people expect and then go back to hard drives and pedal off
That's a big negative.

it is hard for me to believe they get a 500gb ssd and then want to upgrade to a larger ssd drive. as i do not see tons of 1tb hard drives for sale so people are not upgrading there 500gb hard drives to 1tb hard drives.
When SSD's first came out they were small and the early adopters were forced to manage their drive space. This practice has carried over for the most of us. Now with SSD's 500 GB and 1TB and larger it doesn't really matter.

I've been using my 500 GB WD Blue SSD for 5 years now.....with more than dozen clean installs of my OS's and it's still at 95% effectiveness.

Analogy: It's like going from a rotary phone to a smart phone...if you own one of those.

Reaction score
thanks tell me i have security drives and they say the blue drive is for those, so i figured the blue ssd was also for the security dvr's as well, but is sounds like your using one for your pc. so the color must be different for the ssd that for the hard drives. the green hard drives are for network servers and the blue are for the security dvrs so it sounds like this is not the same for the ssd drives. i may get one and see if i get any improvement with the stuttering issues i have. thanks

Reaction score
SSD's have gotten way less expensive nowadays and I have seen SSD's up to 300TB (right, 300 terabyte).

regarding the security dvr drives: the blue ones are for every day use, for the security dvr one needs to get the purple as they are build to run 24/7, however they are not SSD. My oldest purple drive is meanwhile 5 years old and still running...

Green series is more a entry level drive, blue is ,as said, for every day use, black is for heavy every day use (my preferred color, they last long and have a longer warranty), purple, as said, for 24/7 use in DVR's and last but not least the red ones for network servers.

Reaction score
My new cheap PC came with a 500Gb NVME SSD and I added a 1Tb Sata SSD to it.
SSD drives are easily 10 years old now, my first one was a 128Gb drive to hold Windows and apps in 2011.

I don’t see why one would go to EBay and buy a 2nd hand drive when they are so cheap now.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
thanks tell me i have security drives and they say the blue drive is for those, so i figured the blue ssd was also for the security dvr's as well, but is sounds like your using one for your pc. so the color must be different for the ssd that for the hard drives. the green hard drives are for network servers and the blue are for the security dvrs so it sounds like this is not the same for the ssd drives. i may get one and see if i get any improvement with the stuttering issues i have. thanks
Color codes are drive mfg specific.....but that said, it's pretty much as Griz stated as an unwritten rule for most HDD/SSD mfg color codes.

For me I'm partial to WD drives......I chose the WD Blue simply for it's price point at the time. I would have gone with the Black but it was almost twice as much.

Reaction score
ok thanks i'm looking at them as a test. i have them in the chrome books but my probook is 2 times faster than the chromebooks are.

but to be fair i think that after google took away the updates for them and made everyone get new chromebooks mine got slower. one even turns itself off now and that happened after google told me it would not be updated and they sent me one more i figured that was the last and then i started having issues with it. i have another one just like it and i did not do that last update and it runs perfect but slow as sh**.

i was just wondering why so many were on ebay as used 500gb ssd drives. thinking maybe they did not like them.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
ok thanks i'm looking at them as a test. i have them in the chrome books but my probook is 2 times faster than the chromebooks are.

but to be fair i think that after google took away the updates for them and made everyone get new chromebooks mine got slower. one even turns itself off now and that happened after google told me it would not be updated and they sent me one more i figured that was the last and then i started having issues with it. i have another one just like it and i did not do that last update and it runs perfect but slow as sh**.

i was just wondering why so many were on ebay as used 500gb ssd drives. thinking maybe they did not like them.
Apple did/does the same thing. It's ploy to get you to upgrade to a new device. Apple did it with the battery fiasco some years and got caught doing it. They just don't want to keep releasing drivers and updates for older hardware.

As for chrome books....they have the barest of hardware installed. Where as your HP Probook has some pretty decent hardware. So you should see a noticeable difference in speeds for almost all tasks.

Reaction score
It's possible people are upgrading to larger/faster drives and selling their older drives. Many people have converted from SATA to NVMe. I am planning to do so but I haven't made that jump yet. Other drives may be pulled from damaged machines and sold for parts. Just because drives are used don't count them out.

Reaction score
I run SSD for C; drive to boot and programs, and then secondary non-SSD for all my data. I also run backup software.

Reaction score
The biggest differences between an sata or HDD drive (hard disk drive) and an SSD (solid state drive) are the speed that they operate at and the fact that ssd's don't have moving parts. If you play a lot of games or do a lot of video editing, you might want to go with an ssd because speed does matter. If most of your computer work is doing office type stuff, you probably wouldn't even notice the speed difference. Both have a fairly long life cycle, we're talking years of use before failure. There is one more factor to consider, a 1TB HHD will cost roughly $50 dollars and an SSD of the same size is about twice that or about $100 dollars. i just compared prices on Amazon to get those figures. If you do decide to get something new, make sure you check out the star rating, which is based on customer reviews. Something that has sold 20,000 or 30,000 units and has a rating of say 4.7 out of 5 stars is a solid bet. As far as buying a used drive of either type, it's probably not worth the potential headache.

Reaction score
A small point, all current HDDs and most SSDs are SATA connection. The older HDDs were referred to as IDE but their connection was PATA. Newer SSD can be NVME, use a socket on the motherboard instead of cables.
SATA = Serial ATA PATA = Parallel ATA IDE = Integrated Drive Electronics

Reaction score
I use 1T SSD for the C drive.
I use a 500 M HD for a DOS partition. A DOS drive must a) be the first installed and b) must be formatted using FAT. BASIC programs will only run using a) WIN10 32 bit and b) using a drive formatted and installed as above. I am still using BASIC programs that I wrote for the Commodore 64.

Ask a Question