SOLVED Modem-Router dropping off

Reaction score
I am subscribed to the HOT ISP. They provide the modem-router. The service is provided through a cable. One of my desktop computers is cabled to the modem-router. No problem with it, as I am getting 100 Mbps constantly. My other computer receives data via WiFi and it is is approximately 5 meters from the router-modem. Nothing blocking the signal, I can see the modem-router from where I sit.
When life is good and the roses are blooming, my WiFi system delivers 40 to 50 Mbps. I am really happy with this.
But this isn't constant at all. At times the speed will drop to near zero, and stay there for a few minutes. Sometimes for longer periods. At times the speed gets up to 8 or 9 Mbps which doesn't bother me. Its the complete drop-out that is a real PITA.
The services using the modem-router are the home telephone and, of course, the ISP connection.
I want to replace this modem-router, but I don't know if all modem-routers provide a telephone connection or not. My knowledge of modems and routers ranks right up there with brain surgery and why girls cry.
Is this clear? I hope so.
Thank you.

Reaction score
I don't know about other companies but our local cable service [Bresnan/Charter/Spectrum] uses 2 modems when bundling Internet and Telephone service for our church and local animal shelter. Haven't yet had to deal with consumers that also bundle TV.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have an Xfinity provided ARRIS TC862 which includes Ethernet, WiFi and VOIP phone connections as part of what they call their Triple Play package of phone, TV and Internet.
What I have done is simply put the Router into Bridge Mode and supplied my own Router to handle Ethernet and WiFi, leaving their provided device to handle only the VOIP phone part of the service.

You'll need to do your own research as to IF you can bridge their router.
Contact your service provider and they can advise.
They may even provide a list of suitable replacement devices that they have certified to work with their service DOCIS 3 or better and it would need to include the phone hookup which you may find is proprietary and consequently unavailable as a solution.
OR
IF you don't want to do that....
You could simply drop a wireless router of your choosing into the network, cable it (RJ45 Cat 5 or better) to your service provider's device and just use that to provide your WiFi needs.

Personally I don't like doing it that way as it introduces some niggling issues like double NAT and possible competing DHCP, etc. , but generally most people don't have any issues with things of that nature and it'll work with a minimum of finessing.

I just like the bridging option as it leaves my choice of gateways with a publicly addressable outside edge and I can manage my own network security that way.

Reaction score
They provide the modem-router.
Do you have a model number on the Gateway or do you know what version of Wi-Fi it uses?

I also have a Gateway with voice I bypass and use a wireless router. I can keep it updated without having to mess with the one Gateway device. Your provider may have a list of acceptable devices because not all modems work will all ISPs.

Reaction score
I do appreciate the replies, but I just can't seem to get things working with my router-modem.

For what good it might do this is what I am working with.
Sagemcom Model FAST 3184
P/N 253368503
Serial No. HOTBX 1206003265
CM MAC 4C:17:EB:E6:FF:F4
EMTA MAC 4C:17:EB:E6:FF:F7
SSID HOTBOX – FFF4
WPA Wireless Password 4c17ebe6fff4
Login http://hotbox
Username admin
Password admin
It appears to me that this is far from the "top of the line" combination router-modems.

I am trying to understand how I might bridge to another newer modem, as suggested by the moderator here. That seems to be the way out for me, but. . . . I don't know if I am smart enough to understand what is needed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you contacted your provider and told them that your wireless performance from their device is not what you expect?
They should offer a replacement for free. You might just have one with a bad wireless chip that needs replacing, either with a newer model or the same device with better performance.

Reaction score
I just want to close this thread. My solution was so simple it is almost embarrassing. I bought a tp-link range extender, set it up and watched as my Internet speed doubled. No drop outs so far. I'm happy.
Thanks for the replies. This is a good forum.

Ask a Question