Mouse Scroll Speed Too Fast

Reaction score
This has been irritating me since upgrading to Win 10 from Win 8. The scroll on the mouse is too fast. One click of the scroll wheel takes me about a page down or up. It is not the windows settings they have all been set to the slowest options. I spoke to Microsoft Helpline; they diagnosed it as faulty hardware as when I swapped the mouse the problem went away. But since then the problem has quickly returned. I have found a fix but it is not very satisfactory. It is a wireless mouse that I am using. If the pages scroll too fast I disconnect the mouses USB dongle and put it into a different USB port; the problem then goes away until the next time the PC recovers from sleep or is rebooted. So this must be a software issue. I have uninstalled and re-installed the driver, indeed it occurs with different mice so it is not a driver issue. Any help or ideas please???

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I would probably try booting into Safe Mode with Networking and trying that for a while, just to see if there is some third party program that is taking over control of your mouse.
Also, have you looked to confirm that your scroll wheel behavior is set identically in both locations within Windows

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Thanks but as I said in my OP it is not the windows settings. If I unplug the dongle and move it to a different USB port it is fine for a while and then the problem goes away.

Reaction score
This has been irritating me since upgrading to Win 10 from Win 8. The scroll on the mouse is too fast. One click of the scroll wheel takes me about a page down or up. It is not the windows settings they have all been set to the slowest options. I spoke to Microsoft Helpline; they diagnosed it as faulty hardware as when I swapped the mouse the problem went away. But since then the problem has quickly returned. I have found a fix but it is not very satisfactory. It is a wireless mouse that I am using. If the pages scroll too fast I disconnect the mouses USB dongle and put it into a different USB port; the problem then goes away until the next time the PC recovers from sleep or is rebooted. So this must be a software issue. I have uninstalled and re-installed the driver, indeed it occurs with different mice so it is not a driver issue. Any help or ideas please???
Thanks. It is not the settings. Itried the safe mode trick but couldn't get onto any websites to test in safe mode, obviously, because I had no internet.

Reaction score
Is it this little critter one gets when pressing down on the scroll wheel?
Scroll.png

As far as I've ever determined that scrolling up or down is strictly controlled by how fast one drags the mouse or maybe how far from the symbol, the further the faster.

Ask a Question