SOLVED My office 2007 doesn't delete emails.

Reaction score
I have bought a new computer and had my outlook express transferred onto it. Everything is good except that I can't delete any emails. All that happens is that when I right click the email and press delete a thin line goes through the email title. It remains there and loads up the content if I select it. I have tried to transfer them into a junk folder and delete from there, but the emails always remain in the inbox. I'll try anything including upgrading to a modern outlook express if need be.
Cheers Greg

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Greg,
Outlook Express does not work with Windows 10. What you probably mean is Outlook which is part of your Office package.
Which Windows 10 do you have right now (Home or Professional) ?

Reaction score
Hello Grizzly,
Yes you are right. I have "Office Small Business 2007", and it contains word,excel, publisher, power point and outlook (with business contact manager). I am guessing but I am pretty sure it is "Windows 10 Home".

Reaction score
1703 is the current version so you should be okay as far as that goes. I don't use Outlook so cannot help you further there!. :(

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Unfortunately I do not use Outook 2007 anymore, but I still use Outlook daily (2016).
There is probably an account setting you need to inspect to determine if you have the proper boxes configured to address this issue.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to computers, but could you talk me through how to get to this panel you have displayed above? I suspect that after checking those two boxes you have highlighted, there will be nothing but dolphins and rainbows and ever so shy unicorns with their long brown eyelashes....... sigh!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That's the issue, I'm using 2016 and I suspect it is slightly different in the 2007 version.
It's under the account settings, which I get to by choosing File -> Account Settings -> Account settings again -> Then double click the email account I want to edit -> Then click More Settings button -> Then the advance Tab and the boxes are at the bottom

As I said it may be and probably is a different avenue of approach for the 2007 version compared to 2016

Reaction score
How do I change to 2016? If I do will I loose all of the data, (emails, files address book etc?) I can't access the panel you have posted so I'm asking myself why am I stuck with 2007. I don't mind if it costs money, within reason, but I don't want to be hit with an annual prescription. Suggestions?
Cheers Greg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you see anything like this

Purging IMAP items marked for deletion
When you mark an item on an IMAP e-mail server for deletion, the item is displayed in strikethrough text in the header list. However, the item isn't removed from the IMAP mail server until a purge command is used.

Tip: You can change the view of an IMAP folder so that items marked for deletion do not appear. On the View menu, point to Current View, and then click Hide Messages Marked for Deletion. If you are using the Reading Pane, you must turn it back on after using this command. On the View menu, point to Reading Pane, and then click Right or Bottom.

If you don't purge deleted items periodically, you might reach and exceed the allotted disk space on your e-mail server. If you exceed your allotted disk space, you might not receive any new messages.

Note: You must be working online with the mail server for these features to work.

Manually purge deleted items
To permanently delete the items marked for deletion, do the following:

1. Click a folder in your IMAP e-mail account.

2. On the Edit menu, point to Purge Deleted Messages.

3. Do one of the following:

be7775d0-974d-4eef-b6d7-5d8b608ca7d5.gif
    • Click Purge Marked Items in "folder".

Only items marked for deletion in the folder that you're in are purged from the IMAP mail server.

• Click Purge Marked Items in "e-mail account".

All items marked for deletion in any folder for this IMAP e-mail account are purged from the IMAP mail server.

• Click Purge Marked Items in All Accounts.

All items marked for deletion in any folder for any IMAP e-mail account are purged from the IMAP mail server.
Tip: Add the Purge command to a toolbar. On the Tools menu, click Customize. On the Commands tab, under Categories, click Edit. Under Commands, drag the Purge command to a toolbar.

Automatically purge the deleted items
You can configure Microsoft Outlook so that when you switch between folders, any items you have marked for deletion are purged from the IMAP mail server.

1. Click a folder in your IMAP e-mail account.

2. On the Edit menu, point to Purge Deleted Messages.

3. Click Purge Options.

The Internet E-mail Settings dialog box opens.

4. On the General tab, under Purge Options, select the Purge items when switching folders while online check box.
SOURCE: https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...80420&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US#ID0EAABAAA=2007

You might want to click "Purge Options"

Reaction score
MY GOOD MAN (or indeed woman),
THANK YOU! You ROCK! It was such a simple solution. Now I am surrounded by unicorns and dolphins amid the myriad hued rainbows. Yes, I will sacrifice the fatted calf and we will dance and sing songs and recite poetry and drink the finest wine until dawn.
May the traveling wind be always to your back and the long time sun be always upon you.
I also want to thank Wolfie and Grizzly for their help as well.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good to hear that you were able to resolve your issue.
Good luck with all the critters and rainbows, and.....
Thanks for the follow-up info
Much appreciated.
Drink responsibly (the wine) and dance carefully when drinking and please keep the poetry limerick free.

Reaction score
What little help I was (I never used Outlook).... Nevertheless if your problem is solved and it sure looks like it, would you mind and set this thread to "SOLVED" ? That way other can look for inspiration and may solve their problems as well, thank you...

Ask a Question