My RAID 5 Drives Are Not Being Recognized

Reaction score
Hello guys,

My Terramaster 5-bay enclosure has stopped working all of a sudden.

So I started removing the drives one by one and connecting them via SATA to my pc. Some of the drives show part of them as used, while others show 0 bytes are used. When I open the disk manager in Windows 10, it says I must initialize the drive.

I'm a little worried here. How can I diagnose this? I want to know if the issue is from the drives or the enclosure.

I think the issue is from the drives because I tried them on in another enclosure but they did not work.

Now, I'm taking them out one by one and running Partition Recovery on them through MiniTool. It takes forever to check each one.

So in the meantime, can anybody suggest anything that would help me diagnose the issue?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
First, keep checking.....

What type of enclosure is this...make/model? Is this just a plain jane enclosure and you provide everything? What type of RAID software are you using?

Reaction score
First, keep checking.....

What type of enclosure is this...make/model? Is this just a plain jane enclosure and you provide everything? What type of RAID software are you using?
Hey, sorry I didn't provide that information.

I'm using TerraMaster D5-300.
I setup the RAID through Terra master's software.

Reaction score
When I open the disk manager in Windows 10, it says I must initialize the drive.
I saw similar happen a week ago, a 2TB USB drive failed with no warning. The drive had to be "initialized" and only 23 files out of several thousand were recovered and 3 were videos that won't play. It appears the drive can still be usable as a simple volume.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Hey, sorry I didn't provide that information.

I'm using TerraMaster D5-300.
I setup the RAID through Terra master's software.
Checking this out.....I see it's a DAS storage not a standard NAS. From what I'm reading and watching only the first 2 drive bays are RAID capable. the other 3 bays are stand alone, single use. Do you know which drive bay is faulty?

Ask a Question