Need Driver for Western Digital My Passport mobile Drive

Reaction score
Need Driver for Western Digital My Passport mobile Drive wdbaaa3200abk. Western Digital says it will not be recognized by Windows 10.

Rev. Michael L. Burns

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you sure???
I have a 500 GB and a 1TB WD My Passport and they both work fine with Windows 10.
What happens when you plug it in?

Reaction score
Are you sure???
I have a 500 GB and a 1TB WD My Passport and they both work fine with Windows 10.
What happens when you plug it in?
I thought it was strange also. I have a 500 GB WD My Passport as well. I hadn't used it since installing Windows 10 but needed to grab some documents off of it but the drive isn't recognized. Tried plugging it in and unplugging it several times as well as rebooting. Never recognizes it. However, when I plug it in or unplug it I do here the normal tone that I usually get when plugging or unplugging a USB device.

Michael

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried your other WD My Passport on your Windows 10 install? Does it behave the same way?
Have you tried the 320 in another machine recently to confirm that the drive is working properly?

Reaction score
Have you tried your other WD My Passport on your Windows 10 install? Does it behave the same way?
Have you tried the 320 in another machine recently to confirm that the drive is working properly?

Yes. Same weird results. My other external USB drives work fine.

Michael

Reaction score
I'm also having the same issue on Windows10. My WD external drive is not recognized. It works fine on my Window 8.1 machine. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Plug the drive in
Go to Device manager
Right click ComputerName (very top of the tree).
Choose scan for hardware changes.
You should then see something like this

WD MyPassport.JPG

Reaction score
Does the external HDD have the latest firmware installed...? the last firmware for this EXT HDD was Windows release 3.2.5.1 (updated 9/24/2014) which I have the same HDD and it works fine for me. As Trouble stated above it should be showing as he has shown in Device Manager. Oh just a thought... have you installed the SES driver installed. Can. You take a screen capture of Device Manager and uploaded it to this post...?

Go to WD for the drivers and everything on you EXT HDD http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=209&lang=en

Reaction score
Does the external HDD have the latest firmware installed...? the last firmware for this EXT HDD was Windows release 3.2.5.1 (updated 9/24/2014) which I have the same HDD and it works fine for me. As Trouble stated above it should be showing as he has shown in Device Manager. Oh just a thought... have you installed the SES driver installed. Can. You take a screen capture of Device Manager and uploaded it to this post...?

Go to WD for the drivers and everything on you EXT HDD http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=209&lang=en

I believe the problem I am having may be related to the firmware or drive itself. It seems to be clobbered, at least I am starting to think so. The drive was working until shortly after installing Windows 10 Preview. I did not use it every day so at least I didn't notice it until then. After installing Windows 10 Preview and trying the drive it could not be recognized.

I eventually tried it on my wife's windows 7 system and again on my office windows 8 system and the drive is not seen and I can't therefore install the latest firmware since3 it doesn't know it even exists.

Michael

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It might be the interface (USB) cable. You might try to acquire a replacement.
Or it might be the integrated enclosure crossover electronics, in which case you probably have a perfectly fine drive inside the case but the enclosure electronics have failed.

Reaction score
It might be the interface (USB) cable. You might try to acquire a replacement.
Or it might be the integrated enclosure crossover electronics, in which case you probably have a perfectly fine drive inside the case but the enclosure electronics have failed.
I doubt it is the cable because even though it doesn't recognize the drive, it does recognize the drive being plugged in and removed. But I have tried another cable just to verify and still get the same symptoms.

Michael

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you have critical data on the drive you might want to try a disassembly.
There are a lot of video resources you might find on how to go about that and depending on the exact design of your particular drive they do vary.
Here is one such video.
Once you've separated the actual 2.5 in. drive from the enclosure you'll be able to attach it to another computer to see if it was the enclosure crossover electronics or if the drive is physically damaged or otherwise corrupt.

Reaction score
You could try a 3rd party disk management program just to see if the drive letter got fubared, Some can be made bootable just incase you want to bypass windows.

Minitool (I use this on W10)
Aomei

Reaction score
Michael, did you ever find a solution to this? I have the exact same problem. Computer recognizes a device is plugged in but comes up as Initio Default Controller in connected devices. I was trying to update the firmware and THE FIRST TIME I PLUGGED IT IN, IT RECOGNIZED IT CORRECTLY and the device also came up in the WD Smartware software. Now, it does not come up anywhere, Windows makes the sound that a device has been connected but, Initio Default Controller comes up in Connected Devices and nothing comes up in the WD Smartware program. I believe the wrong default driver is downloading?? Did you come up with a solution??

Thank you,
Jason

Reaction score
Michael, did you ever find a solution to this? I have the exact same problem. Computer recognizes a device is plugged in but comes up as Initio Default Controller in connected devices. I was trying to update the firmware and THE FIRST TIME I PLUGGED IT IN, IT RECOGNIZED IT CORRECTLY and the device also came up in the WD Smartware software. Now, it does not come up anywhere, Windows makes the sound that a device has been connected but, Initio Default Controller comes up in Connected Devices and nothing comes up in the WD Smartware program. I believe the wrong default driver is downloading?? Did you come up with a solution??

Thank you,
Jason

Jason,

I never got it working,

Michael

Reaction score
Jason,

I never got it working,

Michael
I have many WD Passport drives. When I plug 2.0 drives with 2.0 cables on my USB 3.0 port, I have exactly the same behavior. I hear the sound, but Windows 10 will not see it. When I use a new cable, 3.0, then my Windows 10 detects it immediately. Make sure you are using a new cable 3.0. FYI- I upgrade my Windows 7 to Windnows 10. When I had Windows 7 on same machine it did not happen. It happens now after the upgrade. Hope this helps some of you.
Regards,
Marcelo

Reaction score
I do not have any USB 3.0 ports, all 2.0 But mine was working on earlier versions of Windows 10 but did cease after a later Windows 10 update.

Michael

Reaction score
I just got a WD MyPassport X 2 Tb drive and Windows 10 File Explorer did not recognize it when I connected it via the USB3.0 port (it came with a USB3.0 cable). But it immediately recognized it via the USB2.0 port. And the drive works fine. Go figure. [BTW: the USB3.0 port works fine]

Ask a Question