Networking 2 PCs

Reaction score
Thanks, Wolfie -- I'll carefully step through all these tips today.
The link mentions SMB support. This is usually turned off by default. This is a deliberate action, over the past years, by MS. The choice remains yours. Mine remains off, but I continue to have file sharing.

You might like to read this if you do wish to activate it?

Reaction score
I would do as @davehc suggests in post #18 where he suggests resetting everything and start from scratch. I cannot really help any more than that as I don't network my computers (I have 4) at home!. :)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
All networking settings should be set to on/enabled.....otherwise it defeats the purpose of setting up the network in the first place.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Under All networks should public sharing be on or off?
"Public sharing" is probably poorly named.
It's not intended to generally share things "publicly"
It's intended and targeted to facilitate access by other computer users on the same computer or users on the network, to share the contents of those folders inside the "Public user" profile (C:\Users\Public), so....
IF you avail yourself of that particular feature / function then, enabling Public sharing would be important, otherwise, maybe, not so much.
Learn the Purpose of the Public Folder in Windows (lifewire.com)

Reaction score
I made progress on this. After turning on the sharing in control panel as previous stated I then right-clicked on folder such as "documents" then "give access" specific people and add everyone set read/write for everyone. Click share and gets link such as \\DESKTOP\Documents to plug into from any other PC or notebook in home on network file explorer. Now if your still running "one drive" the link will look different but I think should work. My main PC which I removed one drive and reinstalled and set folders so wouldn't have direct access to my documents folders. I only use one drive to transfer photos, documents, etc. from smartphone and then move to PC folders as needed.

Since my notebook is "a virgin" so to speak and I haven't changed how one drive is installed from MS I'm going to see how to access it from main PC. more to follow and hope this helps.

Ask a Question