Networking problems

Reaction score
Since a particular windows update some months ago I have not been able to print to the local network printer. I only have two desktops on my network. As well as this problem I am even unable to use a usb to copy files from one pc to the other. They appear to copy ok but wont let me open them on the main PC to be able to print from the printer. I think I may have already written to this forum before about this problem. I've been trying to work this out for some time now, and would appreciate any advice.

Reaction score
Yes, there are/were problems with some updates to Versions 1903 and 1909, apparently with USB and in particular with USB-connected printers. Brands I saw mentioned were Brother, Canon, Panasonic and Ricoh but I did have to deal with a client's HP MultiFunction, Upgraded her computer to Version 2004 and her printer worked. Part of her problem was plugging into a USB 3 port but worked fine with a USB 2 port. I didn't have the problem as both of my HP printers are Networked via Ethernet cable.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
They appear to copy ok but wont let me open them on the main PC to be able to print from the printer.
I assume you are receiving some type of error?
Can you confirm and perhaps snip an image of same so we can see your actual issue.

It's usually a matter of permissions so you'll want to address that by adding your account to the file's properties under the security tab.
AND
If it is a share issue you want to include the same under the sharing tab.
There's a small utility here
Which will allow you to add "Take Ownership" to the right click context menu.
Usually unnecessary if you've added permission to the proper account as mentioned above but you may find it useful.

Reaction score
First of all I swapped the USB over to another USB port but still no change, thanks for that idea.

"windows cannot print due to the current printer setup" is the error report when trying to print.

What happens when I've copied the file to a USB drive and then try to access the file on the other PC I can't left or right click the file and eventually it just goes into a loop and I have to resort to Task Manger to restart windows explorer.

I must point out however than on the host pc I'm still not able to access the network either. So presume the utility you mention would need to be on the host pc, but am unable to access the network to transfer the file across from the other pc. Am I right in thinking the utility needs to be on the main pc?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Start with the basics.
Check and confirm that both devices are on the same network and both have unique IP addresses on the same subnet.
THEN
Check and confirm that you can ping both, one from the other.
THEN
Confirm that you are sharing something on both or either
AND
That you have the appropriate user name and password configured to support access to both / either (from to).

The utility that I listed is not intended to address any network issues it is only to address possible ownership issues that might be impacting your access to a file or folder.

The printer problem seems to suggest a network issue or that perhaps you are not sharing it. Depending on how it's connected and made available to other network nodes.

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. I'm not very technical but am attempting to do as you ask.
They both appear to have unique IP addresses and on the same subnet.
They can ping each other.

This is as far as I can get. When I look for the network the main computer shows the ISP 5G connection whilst the other just says network 2. Is this what you mean?

Yesterday when I attempted to access the main PC from the other one I got a message saying Do not have permission to access \\DESKTOP/PLLNPUP

Both PCs are connected to the router via ethernet cables.

It looks as if this may be beyond my capabilities but thanks for trying to help anyway.

Ask a Question