Networking problems in Windows 10

Reaction score
I updated my Dell Inspiron 15 (3521) from windows 8.1 to windows 10 a few days back. I am facing issues related to net connectivity. The ethernet cable works fine. But I cannot connect to Wi-fi. I have attached the error message that I got after troubleshooting. Please help.

Attachments

• Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    27.7 KB · Views: 814
Reaction score
Thank you Trouble. But I had already done that and I have the compatibility of the driver for windows 10 and it was found to be perfect. I think there is some other problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There are any number of other possible or potential problems
One may be the encryption you are using on your WiFi, try experimenting.
First by temporarily running it "Open" without any encryption, and then progressing up through WEP to WPA, WPA2 and then try experimenting between AES and TKIP on your router.
Second, some have reported problems with Dell wireless radios because of the mode settings.
Go back into device manager
expand network adapters
select then right click the problem wireless adapter and choose properties
select the "Advanced" tab at the top
In the left column titled "Property:" see if you have a BSS Mode (or anything related to something called "MODE") listed. If so select it and in the right column titled "Value:" use the drop down arrow to change from 802.11n to 802.11g (or basically, from whatever it is to another option) it might be set to b,g,n or n only, the idea is to try sampling different modes.
OK your way back out of there and reboot and see if that helps.

Reaction score
Check your sharing permissions. The upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 changed some of my permissions and homegroup settings.

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies Trouble and gogreen.

Trouble, I tried changing the settings of the modem as you have said. It did not work. When I tried to change the mode, I was not able to find such an option. I have attached the screenshot. Please help me find it.

Gogreen, I checked the sharing options. There is no problem with it.

Attachments

• Screenshot (23).png
    Screenshot (23).png
    16.6 KB · Views: 673

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can't help you find what apparently isn't there.
That looks like a sorry excuse for a wireless driver, I've rarely seen so little in the way of options under that tab for a wireless card that you can change or edit.
Almost looks like a Microsoft supplied driver with only basic configuration options.
Are you certain that you have the full Dell driver package installed for that NIC?

Is there an additional software package that Dell uses for configuring the card. Seems strange that you cannot set it to work with B or G or N or any combination of the three.

Did you attempt to experiment with your router's security / encryption settings, to see if that might help?

Ask a Question