SOLVED New main board and re-install Windows 10?

Reaction score
I have been told that I need a new main board.
On my old mainboard I had done the freebie Win 10 from Win7
The HDD Win 10 was installed on works fine?
If I put in a "NEW" motherboard will Win 10 work?
If not what can I do to get it to work?
Have stumbled around MS site but can't find a "clear" explanation of my particular problem.
Thanks for any help.
Frank

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Frank,

If you install a new motherboard that will be deemed a major hardware change and your Windows 10 Activation will more than likely de-activate.

When that happens simply click Start > Settings cog > Update & security then in left pane click Activation

You will see a Troubleshoot option has appeared. (This is not there if Windows is activated; it only appears if Windows has become non-activated).

Run that troubleshoot and things ought to be sorted. If not you can contact support who will re-activate it for you.

Here is Microsoft's support article describing the above process:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20527/windows-10-activation-troubleshooter

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for both replies.
I checked this out and all looked great until I came to the bottom of the page and found this link.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530

Looks like I'll be out of luck as I don't "think" I've got version 1607 on my HDD and since I have no
machine to hook the HDD to I'd have to rebuild my system before I'd know. Guess I'll bite the bullet and build a new system and get a stand alone retail Win 10.

Reaction score
Have you did what regedit32 said. Its working when i changed my motherboard. Windows will fail to initialize our hardware even though we change it with the same model.

Ask a Question