"No Internet - Secured"

Reaction score
Lenovo laptop with wifi connection to home network. After 2 years of good service, new error message: "No Internet - Secured". Wifi troubleshooting did not help. Any suggestion ?
Thanks,
John

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What is the SSID of your wireless network? Is it in the list of available networks when you click the wireless symbol in the notification area?

Reaction score
I have 2 networks (both appear on the list):
- Pandapoo coming from my modem router and
- Pandapoo_2gEXT coming from my Netgear range extender upstairs.
Even if I put the Lenovo laptop next to the modem or to the extender, I get "No Internet - Secured".
I read somewhere that Windows 10 software updates can mess up wireless connections.
That's all I know.
Thanks for trying to help,
John

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I get "No Internet - Secured".
Where are you getting that? Is a program or browser producing that information?
IF you can see the SSID of your wireless home network, if you select it, can you connect to it? Are you prompted for a security key?

Reaction score
On the list of available networks, I see:
- Pandapoo, and below that "No Internet - Secured"
- Pandapoo_2gEXT, and below that "Secured". If I select that, I get a prompt to connect, I click it, and after a few seconds "Secured" switches to "No Internet - Secured".

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As they are both "secured" which is a good thing, are you entering the proper key / pass-phrase that was established when security was configured.
It's possible that you may need to factory reset your ISP device and use their default key / password, usually located on the back or bottom of the device.
You may want to turn off the extender for the time being to simplify the diagnostic process
Even if I put the Lenovo laptop next to the modem
Does the laptop have an Ethernet port that you could use temporarily to test and see if the problem is only related to wireless?
Do you have any third party security suite installed on the laptop that may be causing an issue?
IF so you may need to configure it to "trust" the network.

Reaction score
- When I click on either network I do not have to enter a passkey. It is in memory. The laptop does connect to both network, but only once or twice out of every ten attempts.
- Re. factory reset of ISP device: does that mean the Arris modem-router I got from Spectrum ?
- No Ethernet port on the skinny laptop.
- I had McAfee Internet Security on the laptop, but I uninstalled it because I read somewhere that someone solved their "No Internet - Secured" problem by uninstalling McAfee. That did not work for me however. For now I rely on Microsoft Defender, which kicked in the moment I uninstalled McAfee. Is it possible that I need to configure Defender to "trust" the networks ?
Thanks,
John

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When you uninstalled McAfee, did you run their vendor specific and proprietary removal tool?
It's called MCPR tool and can be downloaded from here
https://service.mcafee.com/webcente...&showHeader=false&_adf.ctrl-state=9hwciu28m_4
That should remove any pesky remnants that might be left over from a conventional uninstall.
The link to the tool download is down a little way in the article under section #2
The laptop does connect to both network, but only once or twice out of every ten attempts
That complicates things a bit, as that would suggest that it is not a password problem nor a driver problem, because it's likely that if either were at issue then the problem would be more consistent.

On those occasions, when it does connect......
How long does it stay connected? A few minutes or until you reboot?
You need to determine what is different when it is connected as opposed to when it is not.

Your best bet might be to use a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all
under both conditions (connected and not connected)
Compare the IP addressing information between the two results
It sounds likely that you might not be getting some critical IP schema from the DHCP server, perhaps a 169.254.xxx.xxx address and no default gateway.

Have you shut down the extender and put it back in the box for the time being so as not to complicate the diagnostic process by involving a second device which may or may not be capable of DHCP.

Ask a Question