SOLVED No Sound After Upgrade

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my Windows 10 system to 14316.rs1_release.160402-2217 and my audio no longer works. The message is "The computer cannot play audio because the Windows Audio Service is not enabled.
Would you like to enable the Windows Audio Services?"

Clicking Yes opens the sound dialog and Playback Devices in the playback tab before going blank and displaying "No Audio Devices Installed."

Also have noted the same problems and message on recording Devices as well.

All drivers appear to be up-to-date. Rebooting does not help. Device Manager shows no problems.

Never had a problem before the upgrade. Any ideas?

Michael

Even though it indicated that all audio drivers were up-to-date, uninstalling all and scanning for hardware changes reinstalled the devices and all seems to be working for now.

Michael

Last edited:
Reaction score
Installed Windows 10 Insiders Preview 14328.rs1-release.160418-1609 today. Once again no sound even though all drivers were reported to be up-to-date. Speaker icon in lower right tray had a red line through it and indicated 1 or more sound services were not running.

Once again, even though it indicated that all audio drivers were up-to-date, uninstalling all and scanning for hardware changes reinstalled the devices and all seems to be working for now.

Michael

Reaction score
No sound for me after upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I've tried all of the solutions posted online for this issue, but nothing helps.
Specifics:
Dell Latitude E6530
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
I tried upgrade of driver via device manager. No help.
I tried uninstall and then search for hardware changes. No help.
I tried download of IDT driver and tried installing it. No help.
If I plug in head phones or external speaker it works. Just no sound from internal laptop speakers.
I may just switch back to Windows 7 if I can't get a solution soon.

Reaction score
I guess you have already been to sound-playback devices and then selected each possibility and been to configure and properties? And of course your machine has a function key to turn on and off the speakers and you have tried both settings? The driver says it is working?

Silly questions maybe, but they are the things to try before anything else.

Reaction score
I found a temporary solution was to uninstall the device via device manager. Then reboot. Just re-scan for hardware changes did not do it. I say it's a temporary fix, because now it keeps occasionally switching to other audio playback devices. But at least now I don't have to uninstall and reboot. Now I just have to keep going to control panel->Sound and reset the default device. Not sure why it keeps changing...perhaps related to after I use earphones.

Ask a Question