No Sound Device After Update

Reaction score
My sound quit with the latest update this morning. It was working fine prior. System device manager does not list a sound device, and the volume icon in the taskbar says there is no audio output device installed. Installing drivers does nothing, tried three times

Reaction score
Press the Windows and "R" keys simultaneously, type or paste "msdt.exe -id AudioPlaybackDiagnostic" into the "Open" box and click "OK".

Ben

Reaction score
I already tried that, it says it cannot find the problem. Another diagnostic says the drivers are installed correctly. I did manage to get the sound device listed in the system devices.

Reaction score
Start Device Manager, right-click the sound device, select "Update driver", "Browse my computer for drivers", then "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer". If more than one is listed, select one that isn't highlighted and click "Next". You may have to restart the computer for the change to take effect.

Ben

Reaction score
Thatwas one of the first things I did. Actually, I had to do a lot of searching to get the sound device back in Device Manager, since it disappeared when the problem started.

Reaction score
You might try uninstalling the problem update. Press the Windows and "i" keys simultaneously, select "Update and Security", "View update history", right-click the update and select "Uninstall". You may have to restart the computer for the change to take effect.

Ben

Reaction score
My sound quit with the latest update this morning. It was working fine prior. System device manager does not list a sound device, and the volume icon in the taskbar says there is no audio output device installed. Installing drivers does nothing, tried three times
I had the same problem I did a reboot and it came back. The second problem I had I could'nt open Outlook so I did another reboot and it came back also. Good Luck!

Ask a Question