No Startup Options in Outlook 2016

Reaction score
Outlook 2016 always asks me if I want to reopen items that were open when it was closed. I'm supposed to change that in File | Options | General | Start up Options. However, while the item "Start up Options" does appear on the General page, it is only a label. There is no link or drop-down box available.

Prompting to reopen items is a recent change from Outlook's behavior for years and years, but I can't pinpoint the change, other than to note that I haven't modified Outlook other than to install any updates that came with Windows Update. I'm an administrator on the system, and this is my personal profile in a home (not business) environment.

Reaction score
I have Office 2013 and show a little difference in the settings, don't have Office 2016 installed on anything just now:
1689303431569.png

Reaction score
I ahve been using 2016, since its innovation.
I had a vague memory of the problem, which had existed on many older editions of Outlook.
I have always kept a history of used help, and found this one:
It must have worked for me, as I do not get the popup:
In the run box, open regedit.
Open:
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Preferences
Look for:
“ReopenWindowsOption”=dword:00000000
dword, set 0 to get a prompt, set 1 to never reopen, or set 2 to always reopen.

Reaction score
Hey, that seemed to do the trick. I had to create the key, which is probably why I had the problem in the first place. I wonder what caused its behavior to change, but it seems to be working now. Thanks!

Ask a Question