SOLVED No WiFi after upgrade from 7 Home

Reaction score
I upgraded mu Alienware M14 from 7 to 10 using the Media creation tool, and now have no WiFi. Ethernet and Bluetooth both show fine, and a wired connection works perfectly, however, not being able to use WiFi puts a damper on the portability of said laptop.
I've tried the reg delete method, which informs me the key is not found, so no help there, and to the best of my knowledge, there was no VPN software installed, so I am at a loss to figure this one out. I do show a network adaptor under unknown devices, but no matter which driver I choose, it is unable to start. Short of a clean installation, and the loss of personal files and/or hours restoring them or reinstalling. does anyone know of a viable workaround that I have overlooked?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you tried using the Drivers listed on the Dell support page? If you've got no Wifi adaptor showing up in Device Manager, but there is an unknown network device listed then it's probably just a case of finding the correct drivers.

The Dell support page (http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/alienware-m14x/drivers) only lists W7 drivers, but you may be ok with those.

Alternatively, do you know what type of wifi card your laptop has? If it's an Intel one, you may be able to find a Windows 10 compatible driver using their driver update utility on this page:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Reaction score
Turns out that it was a driver issue, once I located the correct driver package, and installed, things are working as intended. For whatever reason, the existing drivers for the Killer N1202 card were not compatible.

Not used to manufacturer support, I'm more used to beating my head against the keyboard and doing things the hard way. ;)

Thanks for the insights, much appreciated!

Kat

Reaction score
I have a Compaq CQ61-410 Notebook. After upgrading to Windows 10 I no longer have WiFi access. In Windows - Settings - Network & Internet I do not have a WiFi option listed. However, if I go to Control Panel - Network and Internet - Network Connections I see my wireless service listed. When I diagnose this connection I get the following message:

There might be a problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection adapter
Windows couldn't automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Ask a Question