SOLVED Not connected to home group

Reaction score
Yesterday my modern Windows 10 machine was working fine. I also have an old Vista machine, also connected to the internet. I tried to link the two into a home group. I guess I did not know what I was doing. I do not know what I did, but now the new machine will not connect to the internet. It tells me "Ethernet 2 doesn't have a valid IP configuration". Also it tells me "The homegroup is not available because you're not connected to your home network".

I am posting this message on the old machine so clearly the internet is OK. Can anyone suggest what I have done wrong please?

Reaction score
Yesterday my modern Windows 10 machine was working fine. I also have an old Vista machine, also connected to the internet. I tried to link the two into a home group. I guess I did not know what I was doing. I do not know what I did, but now the new machine will not connect to the internet. It tells me "Ethernet 2 doesn't have a valid IP configuration". Also it tells me "The homegroup is not available because you're not connected to your home network".

I am posting this message on the old machine so clearly the internet is OK. Can anyone suggest what I have done wrong please?
Have you rebooted your win10 comp? If you have and that didn’t work then do the following,

On win10 comp - Go to settings > Network & Internet > Network reset

This will remove and reinstall all you network adaptors and set other networking components back to their original settings. Then you should read up (before you start) on the best way for you to link the two into a home group.

Reaction score
When you say a "win10 comp" do you mean I should remove and replace Windows 10? I do not have a disc so cannot do that?
I have carried out your second suggestion and it has made no difference. I still get the same messages.

Reaction score
When you say a "win10 comp" do you mean I should remove and replace Windows 10? I do not have a disc so cannot do that?
I have carried out your second suggestion and it has made no difference. I still get the same messages.

No, I didn't mean 'remove and replace Windows 10' just go into your Win10 operating system and 'Go to settings > Network & Internet > Network reset' but, as you have said 'that it didn't work' then you will have to 'reboot' your modem. Turn 'Off' the modem, at its power source, leave it 'Off' for 1 minute and after that, turn it 'On' and let the modem reset. As you have already done the reset 'Network' through 'Settings' > 'Network & Internet' you also have to do the following as its stated:
'that this will remove then reinstall all your network adaptors, and set other networking components back to their original settings. You might need to reinstall other networking software afterwards, such as VPN client software or virtual switches. Your PC will be restarted'.

Then you should see your modem recognised by 'Win10' (at the bottom right hand corner) of the task bar and after that, you have to put in your WiFi password (as requested) at internet access at your modem.

If this doesn't work then, go into 'Control Panel' > 'Network & Internet' > 'Network and Sharing Centre' > (on the left click) 'Change adaptor settings' now, see if your modem is in that list? If it is then, it should either have a 'red cross' or a 'green tick', if it has a red cross then 'Delete' the modem and reboot your computer, after reboot, go into the same and your modem should be recognised and it should have a green tick.

If you want to reinstall Windows 10 then go to:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download '‘MediaCreatorTool’ from Microsoft and reinstall 'Windows 10' of your choice, you have to create a bootable USB drive (min size 8GB) as is explained on that page. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Sorry and correction, what I meant by 'modem' should be the "Ethernet" adaptor in your case, so:

Go into 'Control Panel' > 'Network & Internet' > 'Network and Sharing Centre' > (on the left click) 'Change adaptor settings' now, see if your "Ethernet" is in that list? If it is then, it should either have a 'red cross' or a 'green tick', if it has a red cross then 'Delete' the "Ethernet" and reboot your computer, after reboot, go into the same and your "Ethernet" should be recognised and it should have a green tick. If that doesn't happen then, right click on "Ethernet" > chose 'Properties' > 'Configure' which means this will configure your Ethernet adaptor you have e.g. mine is a Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet etc

Ask a Question