Not responding on all programs

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an issue with my pc that's unnerving, I am not sure - but I believe that I may have a bottleneck somewhere.

I have 16gb of ram,
running an i3

I would think with the added memory it would be much more efficient but I often get (not responding) or a general freeze on all my systems if I attempt basic multitasking.

Please help.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an issue with my pc that's unnerving, I am not sure - but I believe that I may have a bottleneck somewhere.

I have 16gb of ram,
running an i3

I would think with the added memory it would be much more efficient but I often get (not responding) or a general freeze on all my systems if I attempt basic multitasking.

It gets worse if i force a restart because then my drives start giving me issue.

It gets stuck and usuable and just stays that way until I force an improper shut down

Please help.

Thanks

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi betterinblue,

The Link State Power Management built into Windows 10 has proven to be a little bugged for some users.

This may be the cause of your freezing and its pretty simple to rule it in or out of the equation per se.
  • Right click Start (or press Winkey + X)
  • Select Power Options
  • In right window click on Change Plan Settings
  • Next click Change advanced power settings
  • Expand PCI Express and Link State Power management like so:
- PCI Express
- Link State Power Management
Setting: <a setting here>
  • Click on the Setting then select Drop Arrow | select Off | click Apply
Notes:
  1. If you have more than one power plan set up repeat steps for those other plans.
  2. If you actually have a laptop and not a PC as you said in your post, then under the Link State Power Management you will see this:
Link State Power Management
Battery: <a setting here>
Plugged in: <a setting here>
  • Set both settings to Off
  • Restart your computer
After the restart you'll need to see how things go. If things settle down and the freezes stop then leave those settings alone. If the freezing continues, you can repeat steps above and change you Linked State Power Management setting(s) back to what they were prior to choosing "Off"

If the freezing continues let the forum know as there are other options to try before going to the extreme of a Clean Install of Windows 10. For example testing the Ram modules etcetera.

Regards,

Regedit32

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Merged.
Please refrain from cross posting.
Thank You.

Reaction score
I would download the hard drive test program from the manufacturer of your hard drive. It sounds like your HDD is failing.

Reaction score
I have done everything you recommended then switched back.

It seems like my pc is twice as slow now.

I cant get it to shut down unless I force it, restarting is the same.

Google chrome is barely functional and I double click on my icons till my fingers hurt but they never open

Hi betterinblue,

The Link State Power Management built into Windows 10 has proven to be a little bugged for some users.

This may be the cause of your freezing and its pretty simple to rule it in or out of the equation per se.
  • Right click Start (or press Winkey + X)
  • Select Power Options
  • In right window click on Change Plan Settings
  • Next click Change advanced power settings
  • Expand PCI Express and Link State Power management like so:
- PCI Express
- Link State Power Management
Setting: <a setting here>
  • Click on the Setting then select Drop Arrow | select Off | click Apply
Notes:
  1. If you have more than one power plan set up repeat steps for those other plans.
  2. If you actually have a laptop and not a PC as you said in your post, then under the Link State Power Management you will see this:
Link State Power Management
Battery: <a setting here>
Plugged in: <a setting here>
  • Set both settings to Off
  • Restart your computer
After the restart you'll need to see how things go. If things settle down and the freezes stop then leave those settings alone. If the freezing continues, you can repeat steps above and change you Linked State Power Management setting(s) back to what they were prior to choosing "Off"

If the freezing continues let the forum know as there are other options to try before going to the extreme of a Clean Install of Windows 10. For example testing the Ram modules etcetera.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
You need to find out who made your hard drive. Western Digital, Seagate, etc. Then go to their website and download the test program for your HDD. Instructions will be on the manufacturer's website on how to install and run the test. Still sounds like a failing HDD.

Ask a Question