Not Responding

Reaction score
My formerly quick-to-respond PC has, for some time, been frustrating me hugely as it takes GREAT PATIENCE on my part, waiting for most tabs, or pages in programmes, to respond.

It's been to the PC doctor and pronounced "well", so should be behaving better.

Internet browser is Chrome: many times even when there aren't many URLs open, it tells me "Page Unresponsive" with options to Wait or End Page.
We have Office 365 on all our devices. On many occasions either Excel, Word or Power Point will not open withouth the message "Not Responding".

I've developed the habit of now re-booting at least twice a day and clearing the cache daily, but really feel this should not be necessary.

Virus scans are conducted regularly. All unnecessary apps have been uninstalled. There appears to be ample space on the hard drive (116GB of 465GB).
We are sourcing external drives and USB to remove content off hard drive.

Any suggestions please?

Reaction score
You may also want to keep the Task Manager open and watch the performance tab to see if anything jumps when these situations occur. If you watch the processes tab, you can set one of the columns to show highest usage first in the list. If some utility was acting up or consuming resources, you might see it.

There have been some folks showing 100% cpu utilization on at least one core for just an audio process.

Reaction score
[QUOTE = "davehc, post: 98475, membre: 2"]
Une autre requête. Quel programme antivirus utilisez-vous?
[/QUOTE]
Oui c'est bien la bonne question, un bon balayage complet avec symantec (Norton antivirus)
Et pour les Trojan, adwcleaner le meilleur !

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi Mageddie,

what version of Win10 do you have?, if you tell us that, maybe we can work something out from there?.

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-to-the-latest-version.13015/ :)
I do apologise for not seeing your reply to my post back on May 31. I came to the Forum today to post another request altogether, and found this!
Thanks so much. I went ahead and did the update/upgrade, which happened to take most of the day! So many new tricks from the upgrade, so it might take a few days to get used to some of them.

I won't yet mark the thread as solved, till I see what happens in the next day or so. But I think we might be a long way towards solving the issue! Yaaaaaaaaaaay!

Will let you know. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Yes I did but she still hasn't told us whether or not it is fixed or whether she needs further help!. ;)

Reaction score
Yes I did but she still hasn't told us whether or not it is fixed or whether she needs further help!. ;)

Hi Wolfie, Sorry to delay yet again with my reply.

It seems the upgrade of Windows 10 did not solve the problem entirely. At times I still have to wait while the message "not responding" occurs. This can happen in any program I have open: including Power Point. As a test I just tried to open a ppt and up it came, "Power Point is not responding". But not for long. I was hoping to take a screenshot but the message wasn't there for long.

In my original post I said, "There appears to be ample space on the hard drive (116GB of 465GB)." It's now 84.7GB free of 465GB. So I know it needs a clean-up. But I am wondering if this is contributing to the problem?

Reaction score
Hi Mageddie,

this might help?:

Have you run defrag at all lately which will help speed up your hard drive a tad?.

Windows start menu > Windows Administrative Tools > Defragment & Optimize

Hope it helps. :)

Reaction score
Thank you muchly. Will check it out. My husband, John, does the maintenance on our PCs and says he hasn't found the need to defrag, but it's certainly worth a look. Will let you know.

Reaction score
There are a few things you can try if Windows 10 is not responding. First, try restarting your computer. If that doesn't work, try running a virus scan to see if there are any malicious programs causing the issue. You can also try resetting Windows 10 to its default settings. If none of these solutions work, you may need to contact Microsoft support for further assistance.

Ask a Question