SOLVED Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this...

Reaction score
I've only had my Toshiba laptop which was already installed with windows 10 for nine months and I'm now finding that the battery won't recharge more that 83%. I almost always use the laptop plugged in and only occasionally use it via the battery... Surely the battery should last longer that this - I've never had it happen on any of my previous laptops. I would appreciate other people's thoughts on this.

Reaction score
I've only had my Toshiba laptop which was already installed with windows 10 for nine months and I'm now finding that the battery won't recharge more that 83%. I almost always use the laptop plugged in and only occasionally use it via the battery... Surely the battery should last longer that this - I've never had it happen on any of my previous laptops. I would appreciate other people's thoughts on this.

the best advice seems to be :

Leaving your laptop plugged in will not cause short term damage, but if you only ever use it on AC power you’ll almost certainly find that after a year the battery’s capacity has been significantly reduced. Similarly, if you only ever use it on battery power you’ll get through the battery’s discharge cycles quicker.

So, the best solution is something of a compromise between the two: use it on battery power some days, and keep it plugged in on others. And in all cases, you’ll want to ensure it doesn’t get too hot.

Reaction score
The battery not charging past a certain percentage sounds like a dead cell in the battery. I had a battery after a year that would discharge normal until it got to 64%, then it would immediately drop to 30%. One of the cells was dead.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've only had my Toshiba laptop which was already installed with windows 10 for nine months
Personally, I'd be looking at a retailer or at minimum a manufacturer's warranty solution.
The thing is less than a year old. You shouldn't have to deal with that.

Reaction score
Don't leave the battery on charge continuously. I'm surprised you got 9 months out of it.
I always take the battery out when fully charged, and a top up (charge) every 3-4 months. The laptop runs 99% on its own power supply. I only use the battery when convenient, it's at least 8 years old and still ticking.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input to my low battery problem,. I let battery run down to 17% then put in on charge and it went up to full capacity...now keeping my fingers crossed!

Reaction score
Like tablets and mobile phones these batteries need to be "worked", but as a rule of thumb don't let them drop below about 25% capacity before plugging in the charger. Make sure they're then charged to the full 100%.

Reaction score
Like tablets and mobile phones these batteries need to be "worked", but as a rule of thumb don't let them drop below about 25% capacity before plugging in the charger. Make sure they're then charged to the full 100%.
I might add too, that for best longevity run the battery down to 5% every 10th time of the 25% rule.

Ask a Question