SOLVED Notepad error?

Reaction score
Writing in Notepad then save content, caption open stating it requires Admin permission. What is causing this error? this is not the usual experience.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That may be an issue.
Saving individual files to the root of C may not always work as one might expect.
Best to create a "folder" on C and then save your text files to that folder.

Reaction score
Hi Rab,

if you just want a simple text saved, use "Wordpad" rather than Notepad. Are you trying to save a script or just a simple text file?. :cool: I don't know if there really is much of a difference between the two, Wordpad seems more advanced than Notepad?. :)

Reaction score
If I try to make change entry, unable to save due to not having permission to carry this out. My account is saved as Administrator.

Reaction score
Hi Rab,

if you just want a simple text saved, use "Wordpad" rather than Notepad. Are you trying to save a script or just a simple text file?. :cool: I don't know if there really is much of a difference between the two, Wordpad seems more advanced than Notepad?. :)
There is a difference as software programmers/creators know, Notepad is plain text while WordPad is a "lite" version of Word. A text editor usually has very little formatting available while a word processor can manipulate what is seen or printed but has hidden coding that can screw up a program [usually seen when Reveal Codes are active]. Notepad also works with HTML as used for Web pages, got my start with it back over 20 years ago, just doesn't work with the graphics. I used FrontPage for the graphical view until I could no longer use it with Office 2010 64-bit.

Reaction score
Hi Bighorn,

thanks for the explanation, I still don't know if @Rab89 is trying to save a script or simple text file?. :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure how we drifted but
Notepad generates .txt files by default
AND
Wordpad generates .rtf files by default.
Would someone please open Notepad create a document and try to save it in the root of C
I can't do it by default, without considerable special effort.
This is what I see

Capture.PNG

As I mentioned in post #4 as a followup to davehc's post #2

Last edited:
Reaction score
At your service. Done. Same message. Not Allowed.
Ditto Wordpad or any similar!!
Not really sure what Rab means by "changing entry"?

Reaction score
what happens is saving the note pad content as all files. Required to add an extra entry in the saved notepad by pressing the edit function, adding the extra wording then saving saving again, shows not allowed to contact the owner or administrator. I am registered as administrator and owner of the notepad file. Is this common practise.?

Reaction score
Opened as normal user and it wouldn't save!.

1594476470156.png

Opened it again as Admin and it saved to C: no problem. :) I can only assume that MS have taken a leaf out of Linux and to access root, you must be admin????. :cool:

1594476602763.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
For the record.
I am the only user and definitely a member of the local administrators group.

Never tried it using the normally hidden, normally inactive Administrator account.
what happens is saving the note pad content as all files
Would suggest that the OP is editing an existing file already present where ever and probably not a generic .txt file, so....

What is the file and who or what created it?

Reaction score
The file is a .bat file, created by me using notepad as *all files. Saving repeats until stopped, each time showing to contact the owner or administrator.

Reaction score
I would suggest that Trouble's posts, #4 and #11, solve and close this issue??

Reaction score
wolfie, it should open as Administrator but is it?. Best that I close this as solved, suggested by davehc.
Thank you all for contributing in an effort to solving this topic.

Ask a Question