SOLVED Notepad where is it?

Reaction score
I tried to use Notepad but found all traces of it in my computer Windows 10 now completely erased. Checking Windows Settings, Windows Accessories no longer shows Notepad only version of WordPad. Windows Store, no longer shows any reference either. Has Microsoft sneakily removed it from all settings including personal computers. If this be the case will require me to use WordPad or seek on line for an alternative. Your findings will be appreciated.

GH1

Reaction score
I tried to use Notepad but found all traces of it in my computer Windows 10 now completely erased. Checking Windows Settings, Windows Accessories no longer shows Notepad only version of WordPad. Windows Store, no longer shows any reference either. Has Microsoft sneakily removed it from all settings including personal computers. If this be the case will require me to use WordPad or seek on line for an alternative. Your findings will be appreciated.
Is still in my list as Notepad

GH1

Reaction score
Its still listed as a windows accessory and wordpad is there also

start/scroll to windows accessories click on it scroll down

Reaction score
I have them manually linked in a third party file manager. I couldn't tell you if there has been any changes in Explorer of Settings. All I can tell you is I still have access to both executable in Win10 v1909.

Reaction score
Still installed on my system!. Press the Windows logo and type "notepad" and see if something shows up. :)

1596523912654.png

Reaction score
Web Results, this shows several variations of Notepad none as Windows Notepad. My Windows version is 2004, and at present refers negative to Notepad. Each time that I click a file compiled in Notepad, now opens up in WordPad. I must admit there is little variation in its setup. I still maintain that I have not carried out any changes. As it looks by the responses of other readers of this Forum, this omission only applies to me. To settle tis would perhaps be cleared by reinstall of Windows 10 2004, not worth the work involved in doing this. As it stands, appears that I am alone on this. As perhaps of interest, in Settings, typing in search Notepad results in not found.

Reaction score
If your file is being opened by Wordpad and not Notepad. The could just be your file association is targeting Wordpad for the specified file extension.

I think you can change that by right clicking on the file and changing your "open with" option. You may need to check a box to always open with that option.

Reaction score
Thanks for your response, however as said reference "Notepad" is no longer an option, not installed. Am I missing the point of all responses as to what is required to be done. Not mentioned prior to this post, this has happened since latest updates installed by Microsoft.

Reaction score
Do you still have a Windows.old folder on the drive? The notepad.exe file still is in mine from back in February, found by Search in File Explorer, shows size at 177KB.

My working copy dated 7/10/2020 is in C:\Windows and is 198KB in size. If yours is missing copy the old one and Paste into your Windows folder. Double-click it to check that it works [my old one does] and if so right-click and Send to Desktop [create shortcut] or if it is showing on the Taskbar when open just right-click and Pin to Taskbar.

Reaction score
Notepad++ [NPP] is great, has tabs for having documents at hand. Multi-users of a computer may have issues as closing NPP then reopening may still show those tabs. I download the .zip file and simply decompress into a folder then create a shortcut. Since it doesn't have an actual install routine nice to keep on a thumb drive for portability.

Reaction score
I always was under the impression that coders don't want all the formatting some programs give, prefer a simpler text editor versus the more involved word processors.

Reaction score
I'm not a full time coder but I do play around a bit with some code. The colors are extremely distracting. A highlight here and there to show problems is one thing. But to color complete sections is not my thing.

Reaction score
Attempting to "go with the Flow", I am trying to get used to the built in "One note". All the facilities of wordpad, but a little different in layout.

Ask a Question