Odd rollback?

Reaction score
So a friend is not too happy about having upgraded to win 10 from her win 8.1.. mainly because there seems to be an issue with what I believe to be the graphics card (standard built in intel one which throws a black screen when the laptop is unplugged) ..

Anyway.. I did a TeamViewer to try an help ...had a look at updating graphics driver first with nothing available... and suggested that we roll it back to Win 8.1 which is what it came with...

However.. when I looked... it showed that the only system to roll back to was Win7 .. and yet it is a Win8 system... asked her to look at the MS label which was showing as Win8?

This was a newly purchased Lenovo laptop from only a couple of months ago so why would this be?

Any opinions on this would be great...

Thanks

Andrew Peters UK

Reaction score
asked her to look at the MS label which was showing as Win8

What MS label ? Please explain or describe.

I have a feeling it is a Win 7 computer.
Either your friend does not know the difference or your friend has been "scammed" by the seller, or both.
Is the seller BestBuy ?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply...

The MS label I refer to of course is the MS licence which should state it as being Win8.. although I did ask over the phone and presume I got the correct answer as indeed being a Win8 licensed system.... although as we all know the printing can be very small and she is an elderly lady....

I believe it was a family present to her which was from a groupon (UK) deal....

I will endeavour to contact her again to try and solve this mystery???

Thanks....

Reaction score
So just to update this.... had a look at this laptop and there are no MS serial numbers on it...... but it has a sticker stating Win 8.1 even though it was only showing a possible roll back to win 7.

Anyway... this particular laptop has a specific reset pin button to for a factory reset.. so I used this and it set back to 8.1 with no issues.. and quite fast so all is good now... but I have never seen a laptop/desktop without a proper MS serial number.

However... the owner is really pleased as she no has 8.1 back with Classic Shell after upgrading to Win 10 with numerous issues including really slowing down and no being able to use the HP wireless printer.

In fact there was no way to access "Printers" via the control panel as it did not respond....

So.. a very happy lady now :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
All's well that ends well I suppose.
had a look at this laptop and there are no MS serial numbers on it
There were a lot of Windows 8 machines sold without a product key / COA Sticker applied, as the key is actually embedded in the BIOS, although there are some, with it hidden under the battery.

Ask a Question