Oh NO! Blue Screen

Reaction score
Just a heads up!
I'm not looking for support, now at least. But I think think this is the right forum to post my recent problem.
Windows 10 Pro I updated my PC last night with the Anniversary update. The update worked like a charm, no errors and all files where they should be. This morning the first task after logging in was create a restore point, a registry backup and create a system image. The Dell Optiplex 760 desktop has worked flawlessly all day without a hiccup. I left the PC to do some chores around the house and when I came back to my shock I had a dreaded Blue Screen that said:
"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to "Restart"
We're just collecting some error information and then you can restart.
For more information about this issue and possible fixes visit http:windows.com/stopcode.
If calling for support give them this information "STOP CODE:CRITICAL PROCESS DIED"

I visited the support link which gave 2 possible fixes.
"Many blue screen errors can be resolved by making sure that Windows is up to date. In the search box on the
taskbar, enter Windows Update, select Windows Update. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates.

Remove new hardware
Sometimes new hardware can cause blue screen errors. If you recently added new hardware to your PC, shut down your PC, unplug the new hardware, and then restart your PC.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14238/windows-10-troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors

The PC was up to date and no new hardware has been installed. It took 2 restarts to get to the log in screen.
I'm (gob smacked) don't know what to say, but I now feel like many unfortunate users. That is, I feel like I'm now held at ransom by MS and Win 10.

Regedit32

Reaction score
So have you attempted to create another Restore Point to see whether this BSOD occurs again?

Does the Event Manager shed any light on what Critical Process died?

Reaction score
Regedit Thanks! I'll do that now the only thing I saw in the event manager was:
"LMS Service cannot connect to Intel(R)MEI driver" I'm not sure if that was when the Blue screen occurred, oron the first failed reboot. when I couldn't get past the Windows background scene to access the log in screen.

Reaction score
You're not alone. I have been using Win 10 Pro for a year now. I just had my first BSOD a day after installing the latest "upgrade".So far just a reboot has fixed it. But I don't feel too cozy about this latest "upgrade".

Ask a Question