On getting old

Reaction score
There was a post today which finished with encouraging advice on keeping you brain working, whilst your age creeps up. on you.

The poster had very valid comment, but, I think I can possibly speak as a very much older person. (?. The poster did not specify his age, but I have a good idea)

Knowledge learned, can be kept somewhere in all the little draws in you brain, as you get older, those drawers are increased in number and full. It can take longer to find the correct drawer, but it is usually tucked in there somewhere.

Undoubtedly, the memory process does slow down. I was involved in computer/IT from the innovation of the first attempts at having something (desktop ?) at home.

Over all those years, I learned, and remembered, many tricks to circumvent the idiosyncrasies of software and subsequent OSs - MS and others.

Most of this was commited to memory, and reproduced as required, on sites such as this. In my mid sixties, I resorted to keeping a Dbase on my computer, for all hints ,tips and Hacks which which I found useful. As little as ten years ago, I could draw most of this from memory. I find, now, that I need to refer to these more often. The alternative, adopted in most cases by forum users (no shame there!) is to google, find a solution, and reprint it. The benefit of this procedure is that it save those members, without so many computer skills, from the need to google themselves.

Although I once got involved in an exchange over this, I think I won the case by pointing out that there can not possibly be copyright on posted help information. Anyone on this planet could stumble on a solution, even by accident. I, myself, posted two different solutions to problems, in the Win95 days,. These are still available all over the web, without reference to the origin, which has probably faded into obscurity anyway. I am not offended. On the contrary, I am pleased that I have been a help to so many.,

I have been mentally active in all fields, including computer technology, up to this day. I realise there are many exceptions in the field of humanity, but, speaking from my own experience, There does eventually come a time when you can no longer fight off old age forgetfulness. Certainly, imo, you come out of the "learning" era.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Hi so you started of same as myself then learning DOS and windows 95 and 98 when if you wanted to go online you only had dial up and took ages to download an up date or get online.
I too google for an error problem and have helped many a member out.
Also have printed off a lot off errors and soluctions and keep them in a folder.
Doing computers keeps my brain active,
I love all the modern apps.
My friend used to own a mobile shop and I spent many a happy hour in there showing customers how to get onto the internet on their mobile phone.
Also clearing old data off and to this day he still brings it up that I helped him sort out problems on his phones, and I am his best friend even thou there is 30 years difference in our ages.
I now have an up to date phone that I have taken my user name from.
I also keep my grand daughters phones, ipads and laptops up and running.
Just taught one to drive which she passed first time, now teaching the other one to drive, then one more to go and I feel then my job is done.
I still love to learn and certainly love this new Windows 10 which is the best windows out as far as I am concerned.
I even went back to college an did an IT course and always reading up on things to come on windows later.
Sorry if I have bored you but as you can see I do try and help find an answer to a members problem.
Also I still like disco and modern music and very often go all night clubbing and dancing finds it keeps these old bones going and I run 3 miles every day.

Reaction score
"I still love to learn and certainly love this new Windows 10 which is the best windows out as far as I am concerned."

I wish there were a lot more that could agree - I do.

"Sorry if I have bored you"
Not at all. Probably a boring subject for most, but I was motivated by the thread I mentioned.
4acres of garden, so I don't really need the daily run - lol.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Yes but more and more are coming around will be even better once been updated,
My grand daughter told me she is going to put laptop and phone in my coffin so I can help the angels sort out their book keeping.
I could not stop laughing.
Yes you do have a nice big garden.
I live 100 meters from the sea and have 7 miles of beach to run or walk if I get bored.

Right me and you are getting on so what do you think of getting rid (as the rumour goes), off the old control panel.
Got a big debate going on over on the other forum I belong to

Reaction score
I play chess to keep my the bits of brain cells alive although not to many left anymore. LOL

Bif

Reaction score
I'm self taught from day one and now I'm the "go to tech guy" to friends and family..I'm constantly in awe of what's possible with current technology but as I stress to friends and younger folks is to use it as just another tool and not to let it rule your realty..this balance is important to keep things real and to never stop learning.I'm really loving 10 and it's usability, it's the newest tool like a shiny new drill..I love this forum for spreading the knowledge to others and helping those in need.

"It's not the years, it's the mileage."

Last edited:
Reaction score
About 8 years back I joined a computer club. Attended several classes and got comfortable with Windows Vista. I had already had experience with MS Word as a late bloomer college student (graduated in 2000). Over the years I taught Word and a number of other programs and the Windows operating systems starting with Vista - yep first a student of it then a teacher. Kept on picking up more knowledge and now starting in January, I will be the Education Director for the Hernando Computer Club here in Spring Hill, FL. Oh, and I am 68 years young.

Reaction score
Good going, Floridagal.
I had to retire at 60, (That was about 20years +/- ago) , but, fortunately, had the advantage of having learned a few Computer tricks, by then. Undoubtably, you do need to be mentally active to keep the gears working. Too much emphasis these days on keeping physically fit, and so ver little concerning keeping those grey cell muscle working also.

I am finding, at last, that more things have to be recorded, rather than remembered.

Reaction score
A lot of old farts on here!

You can see my vintage from my picture. I started as a very junior programmer in 1966 in the UK and stayed in the business until I retired at 60. All of my work was online and real-time systems of various flavours on small computers. I did once have to write a 20 line program in PL/1 on a 360. Convert ASCII print tapes from a PDP-11 to be printed on a IBM line printer. Only mainframe I was ever near!

As for PCs my team had an OLTP system used for Insurance systems. We ported that from an old Mini-computer to Unix, to Dec VAX and finally to Window 2000 over the years. I retired when it became obvious that I'd got stuck in management and the only choice was nasty MS NET development.
So I am the tech guy for my friends as well.
Now I'm just starting on being a 'maker' with the Raspberry Pi. I hope this will keep old age away for a few years yet... getting back into Linux, C and electronics.

Bif

Reaction score
I'm an old semi retired musician (drums) that cut my teeth in the tech world with first Gen.Roland synths and drum machines and the original mini Moogs of yesteryear..sequencing and programming the equipment was always a hoot and a constant learning experience.Now I have a Roland Vdrum kit that I can plug into my laptop and jam with friends on the other side of the globe..in real time!
Grateful for such cool tech..

Reaction score
..... Too much emphasis these days on keeping physically fit, and so ver little concerning keeping those grey cell muscle working also.

I am finding, at last, that more things have to be recorded, rather than remembered.

Yeah, what good is a physcially fit bod if the brain is shot to hell???

Ask a Question