Open file location

Reaction score
open file location opens in cmd window but I want it to open in another folder NOT in the cmd window!

Reaction score
eornastin Hi!
Why make your operation complex, click on a file in explorer or My Docs and open it. It doesn't get any easier than that.

Reaction score
Reaction score
You do not understand my problem. When I use "Type here to search", various responses come up. When I right click on a response and it says "Open file location", instead of a normal explorer window opening, the CMD window displays. This has only been happening after a Windows 10 update months ago. This did not happen previous to that. I figure there must be something in the registry that can fix this. That is what I am looking for. This is not just a simple opening of a folder in explorer or "My Docs" as you suggest.

Regedit32

Reaction score
When I use "Type here to search", various responses come up. When I right click on a response and it says "Open file location", instead of a normal explorer window opening, the CMD window displays.

The right-click Context menu option Open file location is controlled from multiple registry keys, all of which rely on the Class ID {37ea3a21-7493-4208-a011-7f9ea79ce9f5}. This is located at the following location:

Code:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{37ea3a21-7493-4208-a011-7f9ea79ce9f5}

This key contains a sub-key: InProcServer32 with a Default value of %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll

A couple of things you might consider doing to see whether you can resolve the issue:
  1. From an Administrator: Command Prompt run a REG QUERY

Code:
    REG QUERY "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{37ea3a21-7493-4208-a011-7f9ea79ce9f5}"

Press Enter key

Code:
    REG QUERY "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{37ea3a21-7493-4208-a011-7f9ea79ce9f5}\InProcServer32"

Press Enter key

RegQuery.png

If your results do not match this, then make the necessary changes

2. If after step 1 things are not improving then it is possible the shell32.dll is corrupted or missing. You could from an Administrator: Command Prompt run a SFC /SCANNOW to see whether a system repair is needed, and you could also re-register the DLL using the command:

Code:
    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

Note: You may first need to replace the current DLL with a fresh copy for this to resolve issue.

Attached also is a REG file you can use to restore the defaults for registry keys related to this Open file location and the CLSID they rely on to do this. Simply, download the attached file, then right-click and select Merge and when prompted click yes, yes and OK

Attachments

• OpenFileLocationDefaults.reg
    2.6 KB · Views: 790
Last edited:
Reaction score
I got this on the query:
upload_2017-9-5_10-5-52.png

The SFC /SCANNOW scan said there are no issues.
I got this message on the merge:
upload_2017-9-5_9-49-23.png

What to try now?
Is there a specific registry key to edit?

Regedit32

Reaction score
I would not panic about the incomplete merging of the file as your results from the REG QUERY show me the defaults for the CLSID are correct, meaning any other Registry key calling this CLSID is receiving the correct path to the shell32.dll required for the action.

The cause of the error though is for one of two reasons:
  • You were attempting to merge the file while signed-in as a User not belonging to the Administrative Group, or
  • The security of your computer requires that you first right-click on the download, select properties and click Unblock

Have you attempted to register the shell32.dll
again? (Noting: That you may need to replace the current copy with a new one from a Windows 10 iso image first)
  • From an Administrator: Command Prompt type: regsvr32 /i shell32.dll then press Enter
  • Close the command prompt window
  • Shutdown and restart computer

Ask a Question