Open windows do not stay centered.

Reaction score
I can recenter it but it does not stay centered. How do I make it stay put after using the "alt-space bar-move and arrow key" commands?

I have Win7 but no one over there has even looked at my problem

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not likely to be of much help, but....
In order for anyone to formulate a response, more information is needed.
You've told us what "they" don't do "do not stay centered", and that's understood.

What do they do???
Do they slowly creep while they have focus (while you are looking at and working in the window)? Or while they are an inactive window?
Is the creep consistently left or right or up or down.

Do they snap to a screen edge or corner?
Does it happen after they are restored after having been minimized to the taskbar?
Is this consistent across all application, native 32 bit applications like notepad, wordpad and paint, or Windows Universal Apps like mail, people, photos, or third party applications including web browsers?

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'd take a look at your multitasking settings - In particular your snap setting.

Click Start | Settings cog | System | Multitasking

Reaction score
I'm not likely to be of much help, but....
In order for anyone to formulate a response, more information is needed.
You've told us what "they" don't do "do not stay centered", and that's understood.

What do they do???
Do they slowly creep while they have focus (while you are looking at and working in the window)? Or while they are an inactive window?
Is the creep consistently left or right or up or down.

Do they snap to a screen edge or corner?
Does it happen after they are restored after having been minimized to the taskbar?
Is this consistent across all application, native 32 bit applications like notepad, wordpad and paint, or Windows Universal Apps like mail, people, photos, or third party applications including web browsers?
Sorry for the long response delay. When I open Google Chrome, the window migrates down and to the right. Not while I'm watching, but incrementally as I close and open different pages. It's now about 1" down and 1" to the right. It returns to normal when I maximize. But then it wants to migrate again.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Assuming you can still see part of Google Chrome browser window, albeit its off centre, do the following:
  • Open the Google Chrome browser
  • Now press Alt + Spacebar keys together, then with mouse select Move from the menu that appears
  • Now tap your left or right Arrow key to move the browser to a position you like.
    • i.e. If browser is off to right then tap the left Arrow key to bring it back to the left, or
    • If browser is off to the left then tap the right Arrow key to bring it back to the right
    • Likewise, you can tap the up/down Arrow keys to move it up or down.
  • When you have positioned the browser where you want it, close the browser. This allows it to set its current position, so it opens there the next time you use it.
Now when you open it again, it ought to be in the position you moved it to.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
also suggest you do a recommended restore/check health. 1 line at a time
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

sfc /scannow and run sfc /scannow until no errors.... can take upto 3 or 4 times.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Attend to the information given by other members above, but....
Just for my own information, is this a laptop with a touchpad or a desktop with a USB connected mouse and keyboard.
Additionally, you point out that this is a Windows 7 machine, which suggests that it's been around a while.
Did this problem just suddenly materialize out of nowhere?
AND you mentioned specifically "Chrome" but neglected to say if other applications are behaving the same.
Not while I'm watching, but incrementally as I close and open different pages.
Are you opening "different pages" in new tabs, within the same tab OR in a new window. IF you choose to open a link in a new window it is the default behavior of Chrome to open that new window over-top the existing window and slightly down and right of the previous window in a cascade fashion.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Attend to the information given by other members above, but....
Just for my own information, is this a laptop with a touchpad or a desktop with a USB connected mouse and keyboard.
Additionally, you point out that this is a Windows 7 machine, which suggests that it's been around a while.
Did this problem just suddenly materialize out of nowhere?
AND you mentioned specifically "Chrome" but neglected to say if other applications are behaving the same.

Are you opening "different pages" in new tabs, within the same tab OR in a new window. IF you choose to open a link in a new window it is the default behavior of Chrome to open that new window over-top the existing window and slightly down and right of the previous window in a cascade fashion.
I have to admit to being overwhelmed by the tech replies. I'm not too comp literate, so I'll have to take a few days to observe and get back to you on the solutions.

Reaction score
OK. Moving ahead, after a few days it seems to be something in Chrome. I'm dead in the water as to the exact cause. The maximize button on the top right cures it, but as I visit various sites things again begin to descend down and to the right. It could be the layering effect that someone mentioned as I rarely open a new window.

Ask a Question