Outlook 2013 won't open in Windows 10

Reaction score
I had a windows 7 PC with Outlook 2013. I bought a Windows 10 PC and bought business office 2013 with Outlook. I used Laplink to move over my files, and so far most of office works well.
BUT Outlook will not open. It asks for a password for the old PST files that did not have a password
and without one it says Outlook will not open.

Can I get outlook to open if I delete all the migrated PST files?
If I do, do I need to re-install outlook?

In what file location in Win 10 should the outlook 2013 pst files go?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Typically newer versions of outlook will place the .pst file into your documents folder in a folder called Outook files, but.....
It doesn't really make any difference, Outlook should and will use the .pst file you tell it to use, it could be on another drive or on a network share (not recommended).
The principal thing you will have to do is pick one (where ever it is) right click it and choose properties.
From along the top select the "Security" tab, if it came from another computer, then it doesn't know where it's at or who you are and likewise your computer doesn't know or recognize the former owner.
You will have to add your username explicitly with full control, so click the edit button,
click the add button
click the advanced button
click the find now button
scroll down and find your account and double click it or select it and click OK until you are back to the Permissions dialog box
Select the account you just added and check the box under the Allow column that says Full Control.
OK your way back out of there and if you didn't receive any error message with access denied or anything like that, then you will not have to take ownership and should be good to go.

Ask a Question