SOLVED Outlook 2013 wont start with Windows 10

Reaction score
I just upgraded from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro and the desktop icon for Outlook is still there. When clicked it reports that "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. File access is denied. You do not have permission required to access the file C:\Users\Terry\Documents\Outlook Files\(e-mail address removed)." Outlook 2013 worked well before the upgrade. On upgrade I ensured Outlook is the default for email. Also Windows 10 does not seem to recognise Outlooks calendar which I use if it worked. I tried deactivating Office and reinstalling, but nothing helped. I clicked on the "Start", selected "All Apps" scrolled down to Microsoft Office 2013, selected it and it only has Office Tools in there, apps have disappeared. Help please!

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You're going to have to go to that .pst file that you've noted above
C:\Users\Terry\Documents\Outlook Files\(e-mail address removed)."
Right click it and choose properties.
Then select the security tab and see who has permissions and what they are.
You may have to add / edit / change them to make sure that the account (username) you're using to log on now has sufficient rights.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you managed to resolve your issue.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
AND
Welcome to the forum.

Ask a Question