Outlook for mail - if you are lucky

Reaction score
What exactly is going on with Outlook?
When I first went over to W10 I couldn't get Outlook to work satisfactorily so I stuck with Windows Live. Now Microsoft say I have to make the switch but Outlook isn't working correctly, at least not for me.
I have two accounts which I want linked but can't get into syncing them....in fact I can't get into settings FULL STOP.
The prime account hasn't received any mail today whereas |I know there have been a number of emails.
As for Hotmail......zilch.
From the very beginning I haven't ever been able to get it to work properly.
I know it isn't the Calendar thing as that was dealt with long ago.
Getting to the stage where I am losing all patience with Microsoft.
Does anyone have the answer before I go and dump Microsoft altogether?

Reaction score
I made the switch from Live Mail to Outlook on multiple machines with no problem. All I did was put in the incoming mail server name and account info and the outgoing server information.

Reaction score
And where did MS say you have to make the switch?
upload_2016-5-9_14-16-10.png

Received May 5:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Could you perhaps read this article
https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/outlook-vs-outlook-com-vs-windows-live-mail-vs-mail.29/
AND
Explain to us, which one of the email client programs you are referring to as "Outlook"?
I was under the impression it was simply Outlook but now when I checked it says "Mail for Windows 10". Today while trying to resolve the problem I got a message saying "problem syncing dub404-hotmail.com...please try later and the error code: Ox86OOOcOa. This all started on May 5 when I received the email from Outlook as follows:
upload_2016-5-9_14-19-19.png

Reaction score
My first thought is "Why have I not received this Email?"
But, this is a very grey area, and I confess to being bewildered by the content of the Email.
Live Mail is simply an Email desktop client. It goes out on the web and fetches ( in my case) Email from a couple of sources - this through my ISP. The only way in which it can be stopped is by Microsoft deliberately putting in a Blocker for requests from Live Mail. This, from my point of view, would seem to be outrageously illegal.
With their facilities, I am sure there is a way, but I do wonder how the outlook.com program will know the request is from Live Mail.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I guess we'll see, on about June 30th.
My guess would be that if you've setup your outlook.com account within Windows Live Mail using the default
Exchange ActiveSync which goes to col402-m.hotmail.com
That, that might have something to do with the
Windows Live Mail 2012 does not support the synchronization technologies used in the new Outlook.com
IF on the other hand you've configured it as a typical pop3 / smtp account
pop3.live.com port 995 SSL
smtp.live.com port 587 TLS
It should continue to work. Otherwise it'll likely result in a lot more than just Windows Live Mail not working.
Unless they are going to patch the Office version of Outlook 2013, it may stop working as well.

Reaction score
One crappy way you can circumvent it, should it be a problem, is to setup the simplest and fastest Email program available, and rule it to relay to Windows Live Mail. So why bother, MS, with over complication.

Reaction score
One crappy way you can circumvent it, should it be a problem, is to setup the simplest and fastest Email program available, and rule it to relay to Windows Live Mail. So why bother, MS, with over complication.
So please talk me through it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's not that they are "stupid", it's just that they've adopted a new mantra.
Mobile First, Cloud First, Windows as a Service.
So their development goals are centered around "One Core" and providing universal apps that work, cross platform.
Now if they could just get them to actually work....... dependably.
Unfortunately because of the obsession with lightweight and small footprint apps, you end up with a separate Calendar App and a separate People App that are integral with the separate Mail App.

Reaction score
My solution, in anticipation of the worst case, is trying out a few others. tried about seven so far.three were alleged free, but after the tedious install bit, I was presented with a time limited trial. Thunderbird seemed OK, but I dumped it for reasons I cannot recall.

As I have Office, I had a look at Outlook. Very similar to live Mail but much, much slower in collecting new mail. Oddly, whilst very limited in options, The Windows 10 Mail was the most efficient and easiest to set up.

Reaction score
My solution, in anticipation of the worst case, is trying out a few others. tried about seven so far.three were alleged free, but after the tedious install bit, I was presented with a time limited trial. Thunderbird seemed OK, but I dumped it for reasons I cannot recall.

As I have Office, I had a look at Outlook. Very similar to live Mail but much, much slower in collecting new mail. Oddly, whilst very limited in options, The Windows 10 Mail was the most efficient and easiest to set up.
I have just checked my email on W10 Mail.....nothing today despite waiting 15 minutes. Went to Yahoo...8 emails over past three hours. Likewise on Windows Live. For me, I have given up on W10 Mail. It really is useless. I will miss Windows Live and I find the adverts on Yahoo an irritant so will have to look elsewhere.

Reaction score
Did you select "Other Account'
Pop, Imap"
when you tried to set up Yahoo in Mail. There should not be a problem. Ditto WLM mail. Not getting Mail is not one of my complaints.

Ask a Question