Paritioning a drive in Windows 10

Reaction score
I just picked up a new 5 TBit drive and want to partition it into smaller drives. Something like 2tb, 2tb, and whatever is left.

Now with Windows 10 it seems I can do a repartitioning by going to Computer Management and than to Diskmanagement. From there I understand you can than click on the drive you are tryiing to reparitition and it should come up with the appropriate instruction. I don't get that. Here is all I get when i right click on the drive in question:

open
Explore
Change Drive Letter
Format
Shrink Volume
Delete Volume
Propedrties
Help.

What have I missed. Or do I not understand the parititioning process?

Help..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
With those as your options, it would seem that the drive you are dealing with has already be initialized and formatted and assigned a drive letter.
Are you absolutely certain you are working with the new 5 terabyte drive?

Reaction score
With those as your options, it would seem that the drive you are dealing with has already be initialized and formatted and assigned a drive letter.
o

Yes. It is a brand new drive and yes it has been formatted.
Now - I want to make smaller drives on that box so IAn am thinking using something like FDISK. That would work. And then I would simply have to format all the new drives.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You can do that right within Disk Management.
As long as you are absolutely certain that you are dealing with the correct drive and that there is nothing of consequence on it.
Simply select "shrink volume" select the appropriate size and you're done with partition number one.
Then step through the process on the remaining unallocated space by creating a new simple volume and selecting the size you want.
It may involve some trial and error as you'll have to do a little math, but it's relatively simple.

2 Terabytes = 2,000,000 MB
SOURCE: http://www.convertunits.com/from/MB/to/TB

Reaction score
try magic

Reaction score
If you are quite sure there is nothing on the drive, you could just do 'delete volume' and start again putting new volumes on the drive.

Ask a Question