Pc won't start even with installation usb.

Reaction score
Turned on PC this morning but nothing happened. Power comes on, fans work but nothing else works. Changed the battery but that made no difference. I tried the installation USB but that did not work either. There are no beeps or sounds of any kind.
Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Please repost with more information, including the manufacturer and model of the computer.

Ben

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What kind of "PC"??
What "battery" did you change??
IF it is a desktop and IF you are talking about the CMOS battery.....
While you had the old one out, and the power supply disconnected from the wall outlet....
Did you press and hold the power button on the desktop so as to discharge any residual energy from the MoBo capacitors??

IF so and you are not even getting any POST information on the monitor from the BIOS and you are sure that your GPU is fine and cables are connected firmly, then....
Your motherboard may be faulty.
I would also check and confirm that the PSU is fully functional and providing adequate power to the system.

Reaction score
HP Pavilion HPEh9-1100z water cooled. Yes on the CMOS battery; I don't recall ever changing it, thought I would give a shot. Yes also on the discharge.

I am not getting anything at all on the monitor and only fans on the PC. I tried my Norton recovery disk and also the Win 10 installation USB, still no action.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That's not sounding too good.
I know it sounds weird by do you happen to have an external USB hard drive plugged in?? I had that happen to me once on an HP desktop.
HP PCs - No Power or No Boot Guided Troubleshooter
Disconnect external devices from the computer

Disconnect any of the following types of peripherals, drives, or expansion cards from your computer to check if they are causing the issue.
guid-4ded5cad-ffb6-4783-bdf9-3719ade50ed7-low_56652_en.jpg
NOTE: Do not disconnect the keyboard or mouse from your desktop or all-in-one PC as part of this test.
  • Additional monitor or display
  • CD/DVD media
  • Docking station
  • Mobile phone charging cable
  • Printer
  • SD cards
  • Speakers
  • USB hard drive
  • Web camera
SOURCE: http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?g...C23708&session=2f9480b1-e99f-4c97-998a-9bf06c

Reaction score
I'm assuming you're not even getting a bios screen. First try re seating your graphics card. If that doesn't work remove everything not necessary. Remove all but one stick of ram, disconnect the hard drives and try booting to the bios. If this doesn't work, move the stick of ram to other slots, and try the same. If you cant get it to boot my guess would be (and I suspect), you have an issue with your graphics card. See if you can borrow one to test. If that still doesn't work, that leaves the PSU and motherboard.

Reaction score
As a matter of fact, there was a USB on the backside that I removed and then put back; have no idea what it is for. I believe it was next to speaker plugin. Anyway, removed and tried again, no luck.

I used to hear a sound whenever I turned the PC on; cannot explain what it sounded like, it was not a beep, more like a little pop (?). I do not hear that any more so I know it is not booting up.

If it is the MB, I think I will bite the bullet and get a new, faster PC. I replaced a MB on my HP E9180T six years ago with a refurbished one. I found out, after the fact, the MB were defective in this model. I have kept it as a backup, which has come in handy several times, including now. I don't feel that I want to do another replacement.

Will try to use hard drive as external one and see if I can recover any files.

Have been an HP girl since around 2006 but may try a Dell or something else, something with a good warranty.

Ask a Question