Photo Editing Software

Reaction score
Hi I have a desktop PC which is on Windows 7 and a laptop that is on Windows 10. On the laptop, I have lost the ability to edit images quickly and easily. Any of the options provided when I do 'Open with' (Paint, Photos, etc) are just too complicated and actually don't do what I want to do very often. On the Desktop PC on Windows 7, I do 'Open with' and select Microsoft Office Editor and the editor is just so simple but very powerful.
Having now used Windows 10 on the laptop, I think this issue is the only seemingly insurmountable problem that I have on Windows 10, but I really can't upgrade my desktop until I have a way of editing images quickly and without a degree in photography or design!
Can anyone help in advising what application I need to install to do simple photo editing?
Many thanks

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Susie,

You mentioned Microsoft Office Editor

I was wondering given you are wanting to edit images whether you actually meant Microsoft Photo Editor?

Do you mind confirming please

Reaction score
Hi - it's called Microsoft Office 2010 - apologies for not being more accurate, but I wasn't in the office at the time of writing.

I have seen other people complaining that this brilliant photo editor is now no longer on Windows 10 but no one seems to have found a programme that is comparable, they are all far too complicated.

Thanks
Susie

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you have Microsoft Office installed on the computer, then:
  • Right-click a image file > select Open with

If you do not see Microsoft Photo Editor listed, then:

• Click Choose another app
  • Check the box at bottom next to Always use this app to open .XXX files

Note: .XXX will be the file extension of file you chose to open. e.g. .jpg

If Microsoft Photo Editor is still not listed here, then:

• Scroll down to bottom of choices then click More apps

If Microsoft Photo Editor still does not appear, then:

• Scroll to bottom of choices then click Look for another app on this PC
  • In the window that opens navigate to this location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PhotoEd

Note: You can copy & paste that into address bar of window that opened then press Enter key to save time navigating

Select PHOTOED then click Open

Note: If you have enable viewing file extensions you will see PHOTOED.EXE

If you are meaning some other photo editing software then on your way to finding PHOTOED.EXE you may well see the one you actually mean.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32
Thanks for taking the time to look into this. Just trying this on the laptop which is already Windows 10 and there is no photoed file on this PC I'm afraid.

Not sure if anyone has another app that they could recommend if Microsoft Office 2010 is not compatible. I just can't upgrade without an easy, quick photo editor.

Grateful for any help!

Thanks
Susie

Regedit32

Reaction score
If it's a 64-bit install the location may be:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PhotoEd

Mind you, the fact it's not appearing in the initial Open With list suggests it's not installed.

What precisely do you have appearing in that open with list?

Reaction score
The Photo App, which come with Windows 10 (Listed in the "All Apps", as "Photo"), has some excellent possibilities for the average user. Have a look in the start.

But, fwiw. I always install, for general purposes. this program (Paint.net) . It covers just about every option you could expect from a garphocs/Photo editor, and is free. It does rely on net framework, which it will download for you, on first install.

http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

It does ask if you would care to donate, but this does not nag after the install.

Ask a Question