SOLVED Photos mistaken as videos & therefore won't download

Reaction score
The Windows 10 photo programme on my Hewlett Packard laptop, has suddenly decided that the photos on my Canon PowerShot SX620HS camera, are videos & not photos. It refuses to recognise them as photos & instead downloads zero videos & then closes the photo programme. I am unaware of changing any setting on either the camera or the laptop. The problem occurs both using a connecting cable in a USB port and when directly inserting the camera SD card. Any suggestions as to how to get my photos downloaded will be gratefully received!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any suggestions as to how to get my photos downloaded will be gratefully received!
Generally, I use Windows File Explorer
I create a new folder within my Pictures Folder named appropriately (often by current date) to host the new image files.
I then open my SD card in a new File Explorer window and then just copy and paste from the SD card window into the new folder.
Once the new images files have been copied successfully to the new folder location and I've confirmed that they open and display as expected, I go back and delete them as needed from the SD card.

For some reason I've never found any software product (third party or native) particularly useful in organizing my photos the way I want them.

Reaction score
Having successfully downloaded Windows File Explorer, I have now also successfully downloaded photos from my camera, using your suggested methodology. I am most grateful!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Great.... appreciate the follow-up.
Glad you were able to resolve your issue, although I don't quite understand the
Having successfully downloaded Windows File Explorer
File Explorer is a native interface built into Windows 10, so a "download" should not have been necessary.

Ask a Question