Cant download photos from Canon Powershot.

Reaction score
I have contacted Canon technical staff and they don't know what's wrong? My camera is a Canon Powershot A2300. They got me to re-install the latest Canon software but that made no difference. I changed the data cable for a new one and plugged it into a different USB port. I just re-installed Win 10 and it still won't work? When it works properly a Canon icon appears in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and the camera lens doesn't extend and try to focus as it does now. I can remember that I had not downloaded any photos to my computer for a few weeks and I had a Microsoft update in that time so I was thinking it just may be that? If I could just remember what the update was I could delete it to see if that was the problem. The camera works great in every other way! Anyway, I've run out of ideas and I'm now wondering if anyone else knows what to do about this problem?

Reaction score
You can't unplug the card from the camera and plug it into your pc directly? Or someone else who has a card reader if you don't.

Reaction score
No, I can't unplug the SD card and plug it into my card reader, it doesn't work although it works OK in the camera? From what I can gather I'm not the only one having trouble with my Canon camera not downloading to win 10? Win 10 won't even recognize my camera anymore!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
With your camera unplugged from the computer....
Right click the start button and choose device manager from the context menu.
In Device Manager on the menu bar, select the "View" item and select "Show hidden devices"
Expand the various components
Camera, Disk Drives, Portable Devices, USB Devices, etc.
Look for any references that may be associated with the camera or its' associated memory storage and delete them.

Reboot the computer and plug in your camera and see if that made any difference.

Reaction score
This is confusing, won't it stuff the computer up if I delete those things? Also, I found I have 4 x Generic volume shadow copies and 14 x Storage volumes? The error code for the camera not downloading is; 0xA00F4244.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I believe I reserved my remarks to
Look for any references that may be associated with the camera or its' associated memory storage and delete them.
AND
won't it stuff the computer up if I delete those things?
NO.
IF you notice the icons that you should probably be paying attention to are the ones that are very faint, which is an indication that they are not currently connected to "the computer".
The idea is to perhaps stumble upon some corrupt driver / software package file that is causing the issue with your camera.

Feel free to ignore it all together if you don't like the idea.
I was just relating something I did to resolve a very similar issue that I once had with my Nikon.

Reaction score
I don't see any greyed out ''faint'' icons. I've deleted everything to do with the camera, still no luck. It was well worth a try. I've looked around the net and found people with the same problem, ''Win 10 doesn't recognize Canon camera'', some of them say it happened after a Microsoft update, that's what I had first suspected but I can't remember what update it was so I can delete it? My memory is not as good as it once was that's for sure.

Reaction score
Did this problem ever get resolved?
Usually a card reader is the better option for downloading photos (USB3). You could try doing it on another laptop or PC running either win 10 or win 7. If the process is successful it would suggest the fault is ore likely to be something on your PC. A complete reinstall may be the-rather drastic -solution.
I personally find win 10 occasionally temperamental. I had immense problems fully downloading the Media Creation Tool on 2 different laptops and 2 win 7 desktops. It took several, quite lengthy attempts and the infuriating thing was the failure notification didn't appear until the very end, after everything had been looking good. Wasn't the only one to suffer that either.

Reaction score
No, the problem is still there, even after a clean reinstall of Win 10? and my card reader still doesn't work although my Device Manager says it's working OK? I got back onto Canons technical guys who gave me some convoluted steps to go through to see if that would make it work? Basically, I have to register another account on my computer and rename it but how do I do that? I need a valid email address and phone number to do that?

Reaction score
Did it work on (an)other computer(s)?
Don't understand why another account would be necessary but you can have multiple gmail accounts.
You could try the card in another computer to prove that it is OK.
Quite honestly there's a point when the time being spent looking for a solution just doesn't justify the cost of replacing the camera, which you can sell on ebay to minimise loss.

Reaction score
The SD card works on another computer no problem? I will have to see if my camera downloads to another Win 10 computer? My Microsoft account is hotmail but I also have a gmail account can I use that to register another Microsoft account?

Reaction score
I will have to see if my camera downloads to another Win 10 computer - my next suggestion.
When I encounter this sort of problem (and don't get an answer from the 'Support' page of whatever it is) I sit down with pen and paper and list all the possible combinations of things to work through and prioritise them into most likely to most unlikely.
It can be an interesting learning exercise or an infuriating 'not worth the effort' chore - and cost and value get taken into account. I've reached the stage in life that if and when it approaches the latter, I accept defeat. Life's too short.
See YouTube for M/soft accounts - the visual approach very often beats printed instructions - and you can always return to this or other forums if needed.
But if I were you, I'd be looking to replace the camera with one which I'd test with a few shots taken on your card before buying.

Reaction score
The SD card works OK in the camera! I can go through the photos Ive taken with it. I just cant download the photos to my computer because it wont recognize the camera or the SD card in the cardreader?

Reaction score
But will the camera (or better still a USB3 card reader with the card in it) let you move the images to another PC, any PC, win 7, win 10, it doesn't matter? If it does, then copy them onto stick and move them to your own PC. Then sell the camera and buy something that is compatible. It sounds as if there's a hardware compatibility issue somewhere which is using up and inordinate number of man-hours!

Reaction score
After re-reading this the only conclusion I can come to is the age of the devices, some older ones will work only with the SD card while newer ones handle the SDHC card. HC is the High Capacity and readers need to be compatible, I have a couple of notebooks that are only SD so to use the newer card I use a pocketable USB card reader [Wal*Mart $10-20, might be a Targus].

When I plug a cable into my Canon cameras [PowerShot and EOS 60D] they show up as another drive in the left navigation panel by name, not letter.

Reaction score
It was all working fine and just stopped all of a sudden a few weeks ago for no apparent reason other than some Microsoft update that some people with the same problem with their Canon cameras have suspected as the culprit? There is nothing wrong with the camera its not being recognized by Win 10? I have jumped through the hoops and made another account but I can't run the Canon camera window app on that account because it has to have administrator permission and I don't know how to do it?

Reaction score
I should have included a screen shot:

And I left out the file capacities of the SDHC cards which start at 4GB.

Reaction score
After re-reading this the only conclusion I can come to is the age of the devices, some older ones will work only with the SD card while newer ones handle the SDHC card. HC is the High Capacity and readers need to be compatible, I have a couple of notebooks that are only SD so to use the newer card I use a pocketable USB card reader [Wal*Mart $10-20, might be a Targus].

When I plug a cable into my Canon cameras [PowerShot and EOS 60D] they show up as another drive in the left navigation panel by name, not letter.
On reflection it could just be the SD card

I definitely think a card reader is the best way of transferring data - much faster. No need to spend a fortune on one but don't go for a generic. The PC (Asus) and Canon camera aren't too old. Asus are good - except for Support which varies from brilliant to awful). Could be the make of card maybe? The weakest link inthe chain is often the source of the trouble.

Ask a Question