SOLVED "Please Enter Disc" Prompt W10.

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I wanted to play some classic games on my pc today and when i put in a disc into my disc reader a prompt came up saying:

" PLACE A DISC"
" Please place a disc in station D:"
" link{get help with placing or selecting a disc" --> Link brings me to the main w10 support page.

I've tried pretty much everything, even getting a new cd/dvd reader/writer/burner and I tried several disc's without any luck.
Everything worked on windows 8.1 and 7.

If anyone has any tips or leads to help me fix this problem, please let me know.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Can you share some specifics as to your particular computer
Manufacturer's Name, Model Name, Model Number (complete model number), etc.
Anything specific you can tell us about you optical drive Manufacturer, Model Number.
A screen snip (using Windows Snipping Tool) of your device manager might help

Capture.JPG

How is the drive connected to the computer? Internal SATA or IDE connector or External USB or Firewire connector?

Reaction score
It's using an SATA connector and here is the screen from the device manager.
3271-ff266f9e9b9d538b4213b67e305c5471.jpg

My system language isn't in english though, so if you need any translating done just ask me :s
I'm already very gratefull for the fast reply to my thread!

Attachments

• Knipsel.PNG
    Knipsel.PNG
    32.8 KB · Views: 539
Reaction score
It's using an SATA connector and here is the screen from the device manager.
3271-ff266f9e9b9d538b4213b67e305c5471.jpg

My system language isn't in english though, so if you need any translating done just ask me :s
I'm already very gratefull for the fast reply to my thread!

Hi Zetarad,

You are very lucky to have gotten Trouble's attention. He is one of the best for sure. I was hoping I could contribute, But I can't read your attached view of your Device manager screen. Could you post a larger view? make sure to open what you can to show the most information on the optical drives.

Also, there is a tool out there called MediaInfo. https://mediaarea.net/. It will not only tell you if you have problems with the drives, it will indicate if it can read disks in same. It could be helpful here. If you see anything amiss, with the output, please screen snap it and show us here.

allan

Reaction score
Hi Allan,

Thank you for willing to help!,
I'm going to try out the tool and i'll let you know what i'll find!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That might suggest that some third party software is running a process or service in Normal Boot, that does not run in Safe Mode.
There are and or have been many such products, some third party Burning Software and other third party software that is used to create a virtual optical drive like Daemon Tools.
These can add registry entries that impact how Windows is able to interact with the physical optical drive.
There is an old problem that involves Upper and Lower Filters entries in the registry that has been around for years and I believe still poses a problem for Windows 10
You might want to have a read here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929461
AND see if you can spot any third party software being reported as a data value, with respect to your specific registry key.
Read it carefully and......
Using the Windows Registry Editor can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to re-install Windows to correct them. It cannot be guaranteed that any problems resulting from the use of the Windows Registry Editor can be solved. If you choose to edit the Windows Registry please understand that you do so at your own risk so unless you feel fairly comfortable and confident you should probably not use the Editor. Changes made to the Windows Registry can take effect immediately and those that do not will take effect following the next reboot of your computer, and a current backup is not automatically made for you....So manually create a system restore point, backup the registry and export the key you are editing for safe keeping before doing so.

Reaction score
Hey trouble,

I tried the register fix, and my drive seems to be working again!
I can't thank you enough mate.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear it.
Thanks for posting back and letting us know.

Ask a Question