Please help with loss of files if possible...

Reaction score
Hi,

I'll try to provide system info to begin with but don't really know what I'm doing here:

Windows 10 Pro version 1903 OS build 18362.720 Installed RAM 12.0 GB (11.8 GB usable)
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30 GHz
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
File system: NTFS Used space: 170 GB Free space: 61.6 GB
WDC WD2502ABYS-18B7A0 Disk drives
BaseBoard Manufacturer LENOVO Version Win8 Pro DPK TPG

My hard drive was getting full so I bought an external hard drive. Since I'm cheap I got the cheapest one that said it does a terabyte. On it it says: 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD External Case USB3. 0 Support 3TB it also has a list of things on the back, here are some of them:

1. During format process, our hard disk will choose exFAT automatically as default efficient format. Please DO NOT select NTFS manually, this format is not supported by our hard disk, will cause disk crash.
3. QC Passed, Hard Disk Formatted already before packing & shipping, there is no need to reformat when first use.
4. Special attention to our products (partitions are not supported), partitioning will cause damage to the hard disk. For safer and longer service life, use it directly as one independent partition.

I didn't try formatting or anything and it didn't say anything about it itself. I tested it by moving one folder with some pictures to it and it seemed to do okay. So like a moron I trusted it then thinking it was good and really easy so tried moving a big folder containing a bunch of other folders and videos and documents it was all about 50 gig. Things looked like they were going well so I left it alone for about an hour and a half and after that it appeared to have done everything right. But!!! When I tried to open some folders and look at some videos it would lock up with that blue circle thing spinning around and it would say the folder was not responding. The icons are there and look right, but when I check the properties it says it's only about 7 gig, not about 50 as it should be. Some of the documents open but other things will not. So am I totally screwed now? Or is there some way to recover by re-setting my computer to 24 hours ago, or 48, or some time in the past before I made this terrible mistake of trusting that external hard drive? Is there any way to get back the way it was?

Thank you for any help!

David
Maine, USA

Reaction score
I'm trying to move some of the folders back. One of them says 6 gig and when I try to right click drag and copy it says it's preparing to copy but then it never actually does the job. Is there any way to make it do it?

Reaction score
I got a couple of USB 3 drives, have the 3.5" desktop size drives in the case, and they came formatted as exFAT. The box mentioned being usable with PC and Mac computers. I reformatted as NTFS as I no longer have a Mac machine, Mac OS X can't natively write to NTFS, don't know about the newer macOS as mine died during the Upgrade, drive controller on the motherboard died and not cost-effective to have repaired.

Ask a Question