SOLVED Please Help Me to Get "Backed Up"

Reaction score
I believe I have what I need to be able to say "I am backed up". But, I also have doubts.

What are the differences between an Image Backups, Data Backups and System Backups?

I have the impression that these "backups" are there to help me recover "to a point in time" if I should have a serious crash. But I don't know that this is the case. Is there a way that I can confirm that what I have as backups will do the trick when that crash happens.

I have Macrium Reflect (purchased).

Reaction score
The only way you will know for sure is to go through the process. You may be able to go through some of the process, such as making sure bootable media is bootable. Just don't go so far you can't stop the possible action from taking place. Needing a new hard drive is a really good time to practice such a procedure.

System Backups are normally backups of your entire system so it can be replaced in total. Image backups may be considered the same thing and Data or File Backups will recover those items and not recreate your install to a new drive.

Reaction score
Duh.

I believe you are suggesting that with a "new hard drive" that contains the "backups" I should be able to exchange hard drives and be operational with no data lost. If that is the case, I am there except for the swap of HDs.

Thanks for the quick response. Hope I understand correctly.

Reaction score
I am saying, if your current drive fails and you have to replace it, a System Image should put you system back exactly as it was when the System image was created.

I use the new drive reference just to eliminate any possible noise regarding the discussion or repairing a current install, which should also work just about the same way. Recovering an image will normally wipe the part of the drive you are recovering and possibly all of the drive partitions. When you do a recovery, check the options very closely as to exactly what will be recovered.

Reaction score
Thank you so very much. My computer(s) are really my toys and my distractions. I am 80 and a bit slow on the technical uptake these days even though I spend a lot of time tinkering on the computer.

I have a technical back ground but a lot of what I have learned in the past now seems to be just a little bit "out of reach".

Reaction score
I'm gaining some understanding of this process and for that I thank those who have commented - both here and in other loosely related threads. However, I have a ways to go before I'll feel comfortable.

None-the-less, I consider this problem solved.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I believe you are suggesting that with a "new hard drive" that contains the "backups" I should be able to exchange hard drives and be operational with no data lost.
That is a firm "no".
Those backups (system images) are in a format intended to be used by the backup software that created them, to be put back in place onto a hard drive (the same one or new one) to repair and restore your system to a point in time when the backups (system images) were created.

I'm reluctant to go further as I am not familiar with your "Macrium" product. I use a different software called Acronis True Image, but....
I'm pretty sure that most top tier backup solutions provide a means, by way of a rescue media, which you can create from within the product, to boot the system to their proprietary interface (dashboard).... and from there using the system image that you have to recover your system to that point in time.

Maybe take some time to familiarize yourself with the product
The section on "The Macrium Rescue Environment" might help
AND
The section on "Browsing Macrium Reflect images and backups in Windows Explorer" might be worth a read.

Ask a Question