Posting Loop at Upgrade

Reaction score
Upgrade from W7 appeared to be going smothly at 50% + returned to find pc in a boot up loop. Get the 'boot peep' - but runs for some 30 seconds (no screen display) before switching off and returning to this loop.

How do I get out of this mess?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like something definitely went wrong during the upgrade process.
I would think that possibly, your only option at this point might be to boot from the installation media and use the Repair your PC link on the second page (just after the language / keyboard page) and then avail yourself of the advanced troubleshooting options to see if anything there might help.
Maybe the Go Back To button might be the best option to rollback your computer to Windows 7 and regroup.

Reaction score
Inserted Installation CD but would not load from this - looping continiued. Eventually got screen message 'Main BIOS Corrupted' 'Recovering to Backup'. After some time message 'restoring to previous Windows version'.

Recovered now to W7 with 'Action Center' message 'W10 could not be installed C1900101 - 40017'
Can anyone explain?

Still checking that all my original OS is operating?

Reaction score
Looked good until I logged out. Double posting ping on switch on then just 'spins its wheels' with a blank screen - not posting and W7 installation disk wont run.

Why oh why did I try to upgrade!!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Double posting ping on switch on
Not sure what that means exactly? Are you saying that you hear two beeps from the BIOS POST routine?
Can you get into your BIOS and set your boot options to boot from the Optical Drive as your first selection?
Or use F12 or whatever your motherboard Key is to evoke the Boot Menu options?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is this a Desktop?
I ask because it is relatively simple to unplug it and remove the CMOS battery, hold the power button for 30 seconds or so to discharge any stored energy in the capcitors and then give it another minute or two before replacing the battery on the motherboard, plugging it back in and then booting it and attempting to enter the BIOS, where you will need to minimally reset the date and time.
A laptop on the other hand is not so simple as the RTC is not easily exposed nor removed as it is often soldered in place.
'Main BIOS Corrupted' 'Recovering to Backup'
Doesn't sound good at all.
Why oh why did I try to upgrade!!!
You may have just been a victim of coincidence and may have a serious mainboard issue or just a really bad CMOS Battery. I had a similar instance where a bad capacitor in my PSU was discharging the CMOS battery and allthough it never failed to POST, I would have to reset the BIOS settings at every boot.
Have you taken the time to inspect the mainboard for leaking or swollen capacitors or any other signs of damage, like broken or scratched copper tracings?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK.... keep us posted.
I for one, am very interested in what you are able to figure out regarding the problem.

Reaction score
Managed with the help of a non-wirless keyboard to get into BIOS and get the original installation CD to mount. Tried to run in repair mode but reports can't do so as not compatible with operating system. Loving this!

Ask a Question