SOLVED Preview Build 17751

Reaction score
For the FIRST TIME this build lost some files from my Insider machine. A couple of directories in which I keep some stuff. They are duplicates of dirs on the main PC so I can just Onedrive them over but annoying for all that.

What it did was invent a new user Tim Locke. I rebooted and it mostly came back with yet another new user tploc I am tpl on the machine and have been for years.
This is new and ugly behaviour

Last edited:
Reaction score
Has anyone tested the Enterprise edition of 17751.1 ? Edge will not open web sites (with "Hmmm...can't reach this page" messages), and the Feedback Hub won't connect (infinitely spinning circle animation). IE works fine and Internet connectivity is there. I tried installing 1803 fresh and then went straight to this version...same behavior, on two different VMs. The Pro edition is fine.

Reaction score
Went back to a previous Macrium image. Went to Windows update. Took two goes to install 17751. First one failed because for some reason it wanted to download and run the Windows malware program first.

Now it is fine.

Reaction score
I "fixed" my Feedback Hub issue by signing in to it prior to the upgrade to 17751.1; previously I hadn't signed in to it prior to 17751.1 being installed.

However, I re-created the Edge problem yet again, in our ESXi 6.5 environment.

Curiously, I did the exact same steps with a VMware Fusion VM (10.1.13) and didn't have any problems. The latter is the VM hardware equivalent of ESXi 6.7, so perhaps it's isolated to a patch level in 6.5, or some weirdness in the version of the VMware Tools. In any event, weird.

Reaction score
I re-created my Edge issue on a different ESXi 6.5 cluster/host in a different location. I'm going to test the Pro edition next, as the others I've tested have been physical.

Reaction score
I think I've found the cause of the Edge problem, and it has nothing to do with VMware. On your Ethernet adapter, disable (uncheck) IPv6. If you have multiple adapters, disable it on all of them. Boom! Edge broken. I've reproduced this on virtual and physical machines.

Can others please verify?

Feedback Hub link: https://aka.ms/AA2cb1v

Last edited:

Ask a Question