Printers, pdfs and permissions

FFG

Reaction score
I suspect some of these may be linked - and that none of my problems is the underlying cause just a symptom, so over to you guys who know what you're talking about.

1. I have to reset my permissions every time I reboot to be able to access my Documents folder. I am in a profile with Administrator status, and on the permissions, I have full permissions for my current profile. However there is a new 'user' called HomeUsers and I have to give full control to that user to be able to open Outlook (the .pst file is in a subfolder of Documents), to avoid the Outlook add-ons throwing up error messages, or to save into Documents.

2. Discovered the above yesterday, and today I am having trouble with printing. Even a few days ago, a was unable to get anything to print to one of our office printers (wireless network) so I tried uninstalling it to reinstall, then the computer couldn't see it. It did see it briefly this morning but hung just a little way along the progress bar when installing, so I cancelled, searched for the printer again, and haven't seen it since. Along with that, now every time I select print in Word, Excel or a pdf document (Adobe, Nitro Reader, PDFCreator) the program freezes and I have to close it through Task Manager.

3. Excel is also refusing to open certain Excel documents using Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2013 although if I move the document to OneDrive or Dropbox I can open them in Excel Online as long as they are smaller than 5Mb. I am nervous about opening (or more to the point saving) any of the Excel documents that do work, in case I can't get them open again. When opening the problem docs Excel either crashes or says the file is corrupted. Other people (not on 10) can open them no problem. The first document which did this had File sharing set up on it, and was set to open recommending Read-Only, if that might make any difference. Problems with files on laptop, on Dropbox and in OneDrive, applies to .xls and .xlsx, applies possibly to some older documents I think, but almost exclusively to documents I have been working with since upgrading to 10.

Ask a Question