Program that was working won't start now???

Reaction score
program is MGI PhotoSuite III SE

It has been working on my computer for years. But just recently I can not get it to open. When I click on icon to open it, the window that usually comes up asking if I want to allow this program to make changes to my device still comes up, but when I click on yes the program never opens.

What can I do to get this running again?

Thanks for all help.

Reaction score
Hi

The first thing I would do is navigate to the program folder and find the .EXE file that launches the program and see if it starts from there.

If it does create a new desktop icon by using send to desktop option.

If it doesn't I would uninstall and reinstall the program in a different location.

Just name the install something like "New", plus what ever the folder is called, when you are asked where to install it during the installation process. I only do this so that Windows sees it as a different program and doesn't pick up anything from the old install.

This almost always works to fix any software that got messed up during the update.

Reaction score
You could try to right-click the icon and choose "Run as Administrator." Or you could even try one of the "compatibility modes."

Reaction score
Hi

The first thing I would do is navigate to the program folder and find the .EXE file that launches the program and see if it starts from there.

If it does create a new desktop icon by using send to desktop option.

If it doesn't I would uninstall and reinstall the program in a different location.

Just name the install something like "New", plus what ever the folder is called, when you are asked where to install it during the installation process. I only do this so that Windows sees it as a different program and doesn't pick up anything from the old install.

This almost always works to fix any software that got messed up during the update.
That didn't work either. I would like to try some other things before uninstall/reinstall. This is an older program but it had been working on this very computer. Almost like a windows update may have done something.

Reaction score
You could try to right-click the icon and choose "Run as Administrator." Or you could even try one of the "compatibility modes."
I had already tried the "Run as Admin" option and that didn't work either. What do you mean by the "compatibility modes"? I tried running the compatibility troubleshooter but it really didn't tell me much. Maybe I am missing something?

Reaction score
Ok guys, here is something that I have found. I went under the program files and found the .exe file, it is located in a folder named c:\program files (x86). I tried to start it with that .exe file and still the same thing. Asks if I want to let this program make changes, just like it always has in the past but then nothing, program doesn't start. Almost like something is blocking it.

Seems odd that there is a folder named program files (x86), and there is a folder named program files. Does this sound normal? I guess I could look on one of my other computers and compare.

Something else to note. Although the program still seems to be there and I was able to find the .exe file, the program is not listed under settings for "add or remove program" on the app list. Maybe this will tell you something.

Anyway, any ideas what could be blocking it? And junkwes, or for that matter anybody want to clarify the stuff about "compatibility modes"?

Thanks for trying to help.

Ask a Question