SOLVED Push notification driving me round the bend!

Reaction score
Recently bought a PC. McAgee anti-virus was installed, but not activated. I like Windows Defender, which was activated, so uninstalled MaCfee. From that moment I've been plagued by messages that are ostensibly from Edge saying MaCfee has found viruses on my PC so I must install MaCfee to get rid of them. Obviously this is untrue as NaCfee isn't on my PC and I never used it when it was. I've been advised that I can stop these notifications from 'Web Permissions' in the Settings of Edge, but I can't find the Permissions in Edge's Settings. The notifications appear every few minutes and any advice in how to stop them would be much appreciated.
The PC has Windows 10 and after the notifications began I did a scan with WD which found nothing.

Reaction score
Hello John~
Regarding McAfee..

I would HIGHLY suggest downloading and running the McAfee removal tool supplied DIRECTLY from McAfee themselves found at the following link >>> McAfee removal tool DO NOT activate the product as they suggest ONLY download and run the tool as instructed depending on your situation...

That SHOULD successfully ( it has for me on multiple occasions when wanting to remove it) remove McAfee COMPLETLY from your system ... SAFELY ...

If you still get the pop-ups.... even after following the instructions AND cleaning your browser history and browser temporary files and INCLUDING cookies .. then something else is going on causing the pops ups to keep happening ... POSSIBLY otherwise infected .. but I will let others chime in on that aspect.

Best of luck.
~LoneWolf

EDITED to add: after running the tool I would ALSO suggest using a registry cleaner such as CCleaner >>> found here get the free version it will do what needs to be done... that way ANYTHING left in the registry of your computer will also be removed .....

NOTE: I AM NOT affiliated in any way with any of the software I recommend these are MY PERSONAL recommendations that i have used to help fellow users :)

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I agree, running the McAfee Removal Tool is a pretty good idea, but...
Additionally, IF as you suspect you have somehow "Allowed" Push Notifications in Edge for the McAfee site, then you should be able to find it here

Push.jpg

You should be able to use the three dot on the right to remove, edit or block it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm not discounting the use of MaCfee's uninstaller but I've discovered there is a malware site that sends these messages and if you follow their instruction to install MaCfee it, which I've not done, t takes you to a site that infects your PC with a virus.
So it appears MaCfee isn't involved.
I looked at site permissions and there's a recent allowance for current-captcha, ( I don't know what that is ) but there's no three dots to its right, see screenshot. Clicking the arrow to the right reveals a list but current-captcha isn't on it. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Site Permissions.png
    Site Permissions.png
    60 KB · Views: 54
Reaction score
The last few times I've unintalled McAfee for clients there's been a second entry in Programs and Features that also needs uninstalling, something about Web browsing safely [been awhile, hard to remember].

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
From your previous post(s)
McAgee MaCfee MaCfee MaCfee NaCfee MaCfee's MaCfee MaCfee
Not a single proper spelling McAfee

Is this intentional
OR
Are we missing something with regard to your actual problem.
Not a big fan of McAfee, but I wouldn't want them to get blamed for an issue that wasn't actually associated with any of their products.

Reaction score
From your previous post(s)

Not a single proper spelling McAfee

Is this intentional
OR
Are we missing something with regard to your actual problem.
Not a big fan of McAfee, but I wouldn't want them to get blamed for an issue that wasn't actually associated with any of their products.
Just saw on MSN News some investment group bought McAfee for $14B.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just saw on MSN News some investment group bought McAfee for $14M.
I wish them good luck.
14 million doesn't sound like very much (based on today's wheeling and dealing of mergers and acquisitions).
I suspect there is some serious product as well as overall brand rehabilitation to do.
The weirdness surrounding its' founder and namesake probably didn't help much.

Reaction score
I'm now certain that these notifications are not from McAfee. The cause is in the browser not the PC so I'm going to see if I can uninstall and then reinstall Edge. I'll leave this thread open a couple more days in case anyone has any ideas, and to let you know how I get on.

Ask a Question