SOLVED Question on screen resolutions

Reaction score
Recently got myself a little mini PC, which I'm quite pleased with. Of course needs a screen so I connected it to a portable old screen I had, a 13.3" 1080p IPS 1920x1080
But want to upgrade it to a better portable screen with more resolution and connections, but not all that genned up with all that resolutions stuff, so not sure if comp is compatible.
Came across a nice screen with 2560 * 1440, which I believe is also known as 2K.
Looking at the computer specs the HDMI output is- HDMI Port: HDMI 1.4
Would this be suitable with above-mentioned 2K screen?

Guess would also be useful to give some computer and screen specs:
COMP

CPU:Intel Celeron J3455
GPU:Intel HD Graphics 500
RAM+ROM : 4+32GB, 6+64GB, 8+120GB WiFi:Ac3165 Dual Band,2.4G/5G
Interface:
USB port:2xUSB 3.0;2xUSB 2.0;1xType C;support USB disk and USB HDD
HDMI Port: HDMI 1.4
--------------------------------------------------
Intended screen:

13.3 inch 2560 * 1440 Pixel IPS
------
Actually would have preferred a 15.6 screen, but most I found for sale only seemed to support 1920x1080
Not sure what would be better 13" 2560x or 15" 1920x

So any advice and opinions would be appreciated

Last edited:
Reaction score
A general comment would be the larger the numbers in the screen resolution means things on the screen such as icons will be smaller and text harder to read. My Desktops run at 1440x900 on 21.5" monitor, Notebooks usually at the Recommended setting such as 1280x800. The best setting of those available is usually determined by how close one is to the screen, Desktops usually further away while Notebooks not quite at arms length.

Reaction score
@ Bighorn

Yes as you said the higher the resolution the smaller the text,etc. so that has to be taken into consideration.
Another reason I considered the 2560x it has more connections, like USB-c, micro USB and in theory is capable of touchscreen, although not sure that will work with Windows 10 comp.
And apparently as it has USB-C you can connect a phone to it, that also a bit dubious about that, I would think it depends on the phone the newer ones might work like that.
So I think will play it safe and just stick with 1960x for now and get a 15.6 inch it will give reasonable quality with text etc not too small.

...and Grizzly yeah thanks for that, re 1.4 will be useful to know for future purchases when 4K is more widely used

Reaction score
Another reason I considered the 2560x it has more connections, like USB-c, micro USB and in theory is capable of touchscreen, although not sure that will work with Windows 10 comp.
My HP Compaq L2105tm monitor is touchscreen capable but requires a USB cable connection to a computer. The usual data cable is there but it's only one way, the USB gives the returning signal to the computer. I don't use the touch as I have 4 computers [different OSes] connected through a KVM Switch with VGA connection and would have to be changing the cable and rebooting when changing computers.

Reaction score
Yes I was aware another cable is needed for touch screen on Win 10 comp.
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression the computer would have to have a usb-c Port for that, which mine does not, just USB 2/3

Reaction score
Yes I was aware another cable is needed for touch screen on Win 10 comp.
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression the computer would have to have a usb-c Port for that, which mine does not, just USB 2/3
My monitor will work with a USB 2 cable, should work with USB 3, don't have anything with USB-C yet. USB 3 devices plugged into USB 2 ports should be backward compatible but not always are, I would think the same of USB-C.

Ask a Question