Random BSODs, different each time

Reaction score
Hi there! I've been having an ongoing problem since Windows 7 with BSODs. They seem to happen randomly, even when no programs are running and also become more and less frequent. I've exhausted all help from Microsoft directly and I've been fighting this for several months now.
I've run virus scans, registry cleaners, and memory checks with no results. I've not installed any new hardware in the last year. I've upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and reinstalled Windows 10 and there's no change. If anyone has anything at all that I can try, I'd love your help! I've listed my system specs in my profile but if there's any additional information required, please let me know! Thank you so much for your time!!

-Lindsay

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Lindsay,

Welcome to the forum.

These random BSODs you've been experiencing. Do you recall is it always the same BSOD error or have they varied over time.

If you right-click on Start then left-click on Event Viewer when the Event Viewer window opens in the left pane can you expand Windows logs then check both Applications and System logs looking for any error messages that may help isolate what's going on. These logs will be Date and Time Stamped which will help you recognize any events logged as a BSOD occurred.

Also, are you able to let us know what BSOD message you are getting verbatim please.

Finally, can you let us know what applications you have installed at the moment including any third-party applications (i.e. non Windows programs).

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit! Thank for the reply!

The BSODs are fairly infrequent right now, which is why I'm even able to post, haha. But they come back with a vengeance!

I have gotten SO MANY. They are almost always different but the Greatest Hits are: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY.

Main programs I use are: Chrome, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Word, Excel, Steam, and Avira. Please let me know if there's any other info you might want to see!

Thank you!!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Lindsay,

You sure do have quite a few BSODs going on.

The good news is they are almost certainly all variations of a conflicting driver or memory issue rather than multiple different problems.

Some things that would be helpful to know are:
  • Model of your computer
  • Whether you have a record of the .sys file referred to in your IRQL error messages

That last BSOD A_W_T_Readonly_Memory can be caused by a faulty ram stick but also by a corrupted driver (usually one related to hardware, but occasionally a software driver too).

Something you could do is run the in-built Windows memory test. It does take a while to run but it may help identify an issue. To do that first close any open applications as you will be required to restart computer, then:

• Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Run
  • In the Run dialog type mdsched.exe then click OK

A window will pop up with two coptions, the second one being the option to check later. Click the first option (Recommended). This will restart the computer and perform the analysis.

Have you ever had anyone (or yourself) tried to overclock your computer? Did you computer come with any special applications designed to enhance online gaming? I ask these two questions as that may explain the System_Service_Exception, although generally that particular error occurs when you have software installed that is not truly compatible with the operating system you have installed.

I noticed with my recent Anniversary Update one third party application I have was reported in the Notification Area on system tray as not being compatible with current Windows 10 version. Perhaps you have a similar message in your Notifications that may give you a clue.

Reaction score
The BSODs are back! Hooray!!

My computer is a custom build but this build had been unchanged for about a year before these started. To my knowledge it has never been overclocked. If there a way to double check this?

The only .sys file that has been mentioned attached to the IRQL error is (tcpip.sys)

I've checked the Event Viewer but I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, haha. I HAVE done the memory test and it came back clean.

Thank you so much for your time!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I HAVE done the memory test and it came back clean.
Which memory test was that?
The only .sys file that has been mentioned attached to the IRQL error is (tcpip.sys)
Sometimes when you see network stack files showing up in BSODs they can be caused by third party security suites.
IF you have any such program installed, you might consider completely uninstalling it using the Programs and Features applet in the Control Panel and then follow that up with the vendor specific, proprietary removal tool produced by the software maker.
See if that provides any stability.

Ask a Question